[9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels - Plan9 ; Hi everyone, I know this has been discussed a couple of times on the list; but the current situation is that Plan 9 is unable to detect an ethernet card when run on the Parallels [1] Virtual Machine for Mac ...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels

    Hi everyone,

    I know this has been discussed a couple of times on the list; but the
    current situation is that Plan 9 is unable to detect an ethernet card
    when run on the Parallels [1] Virtual Machine for Mac OS X.

    Parallels emulates a standard NE2000 clone (RTL8029 to be precise),
    which Plan 9 supports. This issue was apparently analyzed some time ago,
    the conclusion of which was that Parallels does not allow direct PCI bus
    scanning, which results in Plan 9 being unable to detect the ethernet
    card. Some patches [2] were released to correct this, but these set of
    patches do not work with the current Plan 9 sources (as of May 22, 2007)
    - they even fail to compile.

    Upon diff'ing the patches with the official Plan 9 sources it seems that
    some of it has already been incorporated into the mainstream sources. I
    even see this comment in /sys/src/9/pc/ether2000.c:

    "Parallels has buf[0x0E] == 0x00 whereas real hardware usually has 0x57."

    which seems to indicate that Plan 9 does support direct PCI bus scanning
    (or whatever, I am not familiar with device-driver programming!); but
    the fact is that it does not.

    I am sure that a lot of us will be really grateful if this issue is
    fixed. Parallels provides excellent performance on the Mac OS X and is
    really the only option for the most of us on Intel Macs. Needless to
    say, I am willing to provide whatever support is required in terms of
    testing to fix this issue.

    Cheers,
    --
    Anant Narayanan

    [1] http://http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/sr/ (See table
    for Guest Hardware Specifications)
    [2] http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/leimy/parallels.html

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels

    I have no problems with parallels and plan9 . i started with david's
    changes initially but recompiled a brand new kernel just today (after
    a source update) which runs just fine.

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels

    andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > I have no problems with parallels and plan9 . i started with david's
    > changes initially but recompiled a brand new kernel just today (after
    > a source update) which runs just fine.

    I just downloaded a fresh ISO and installed it. The ethernet card still
    does not appear to be detected. (I'm looking for /dev/ether0). I still
    get the error on bootup:

    pcirouting: Cannot find south bridge PCI.0.0.0

    the same as before.

    Either you're still using your old kernel, or I'm missing something
    fundamental...

    Regards,
    --
    Anant

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels

    Anant Narayanan wrote:
    > I just downloaded a fresh ISO and installed it. The ethernet card still
    > does not appear to be detected. (I'm looking for /dev/ether0). I still
    > get the error on bootup:

    I meant /net/ether0. Sorry.

    --
    Anant

  5. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 On Parallels

    On 5/30/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > I have no problems with parallels and plan9 . i started with david's
    > changes initially but recompiled a brand new kernel just today (after
    > a source update) which runs just fine.

    For the record, they're not my changes but jmk's... I believe if one
    were to recompile with those same changes to this day it would still
    work, but I abandoned my parallels setup for the time being since I
    set up a real Plan 9 box.

    I've not tried to rebuild with those changes again. I think I
    successfully added my parallels config stuff to the Plan 9 wiki.

    I still can't access my mordor account though...

+ Reply to Thread