[9fans] plan9 as an imaps server - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server - Plan9 ; I am certain that others have done this, the wiki says they have. Although, I do plan to update the wiki once I understand this. SO is claiming it is time to throw in the towel and just buy a ...

  1. [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    I am certain that others have done this, the wiki says they have.
    Although, I do plan to update the wiki once I understand this. SO is
    claiming it is time to throw in the towel and just buy a Mac as a mail
    server. Shudder.

    After I boot I have this:

    cpu% cat /mnt/factotum/ctl

    So, the ctl is empty. OK, let's add the secstore bits for the key:
    cpu% auth/secstore -n -G factotum > /mnt/factotum/ctl
    auth/secstore: error: account expired

    Ah, well. I am telling it to use the nvram key, but something is still
    expired. Um, what
    account? It's not all that clear, I'll do a pull and see if it gets
    better. Anyway:
    cpu% slay secstored | rc
    cpu% cd
    cpu% cd auth/secstore/
    cpu% ./8.secstored # my hacked secstored

    Let's try that again.
    cpu% auth/secstore -n -G factotum > /mnt/factotum/ctl
    account expired at Mon May 28 19:25:22 EDT 2007
    , current time is Mon May 28 19:25:22 EDT 2007
    ; not that we care
    cpu% cat /mnt/factotum/ctl
    key proto=rsa size=1024 ek=10001 etc. etc. etc. service=tls
    role=client etc. etc.

    now I tried to get in and it still failed. I have to do this:

    cpu% slay listen | rc
    cpu% aux/listen -q -t /rc/bin/service.auth -d /rc/bin/service tcp

    Boy, that seems wrong to me!

    At this point, from the mac, I am getting a password prompt.

    tlssrv reports this much:
    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports recv HClientKeyExchange
    etc. etc.

    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports tls secrets

    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports recv HFinished

    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports send HFinished

    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports tls finished

    roo May 28 19:31:07 76.103.89.146!62785 tls reports open

    : imap4d debugging enabled
    * OK roo.hsd1.ca.comcast.net. IMAP4rev1 server ready

    i.e. we're getting the nice socket, and imap4d is starting up. It does
    not much like my password. not sure why ... but will look more and let
    you all know.

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    > i.e. we're getting the nice socket, and imap4d is starting up. It does
    > not much like my password. not sure why ... but will look more and let
    > you all know.

    does /sys/log/imap4d have anything useful in it?

  3. Re: [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    > i.e. we're getting the nice socket, and imap4d is starting up. It does
    > not much like my password. not sure why ... but will look more and let
    > you all know.

    I guess you know this but just in case - imap uses the inferno/pop password for
    your account on the plan9 box, rather than the p9sk1 one. This is visible on
    your machine (so authserv can see it) from the console of your machine, look in
    /mnt/keys/$user/secret (I think - not at the console at present). you could
    look in here to ensure you don't have a different inferno/pop(/imap) passowrd
    from the one you hoped.

    Other than that I cannot help I use pops and imaps clients on plan9 but have
    never served mail from it.

    -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    On 5/29/07, Steve Simon wrote:

    > I guess you know this but just in case - imap uses the inferno/pop password for
    > your account on the plan9 box, rather than the p9sk1 one. This is visible on
    > your machine (so authserv can see it) from the console of your machine, look in
    > /mnt/keys/$user/secret (I think - not at the console at present). you could
    > look in here to ensure you don't have a different inferno/pop(/imap) passowrd
    > from the one you hoped.

    actually, here is what is interesting. Once I put the key in
    /mnt/factotum/ctl via cat, i.e. once I did this:
    auth/secstore -G factotum > /mnt/factotum/ctl
    then the mail passwords for all accounts -- port imap or imaps --
    stopped working. They were working moments before this, then stopped.

    Once I got rid of the factotum, they started working again. Now that's
    confusing (to me).

    I think the bigger issue is that the wiki is just almost, but not
    quite, completely wrong on how to do this.

    thanks

    ron
    p.s. this is in auth/password.c:
    if(pw->expire <= now){
    werrstr("account expired");
    freePW(pw);
    return nil;
    }

    I read yesterday that pw->expire == 0 means "forever". That's going to
    always fail here, right?
    how about if ((pw_expire) && (pw->expire <= now)){

  5. Re: [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    > actually, here is what is interesting. Once I put the key in
    > /mnt/factotum/ctl via cat, i.e. once I did this:
    > auth/secstore -G factotum > /mnt/factotum/ctl
    > then the mail passwords for all accounts -- port imap or imaps --
    > stopped working. They were working moments before this, then stopped.

    on which machine as which user is this command being run?

    > Once I got rid of the factotum, they started working again. Now that's
    > confusing (to me).

    what do you mean by "getting rid of factotum".

    > how about if ((pw_expire) && (pw->expire <= now)){

    how about

    if(pw->expire > 0 && pw->expire <= now)

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] plan9 as an imaps server

    On 5/29/07, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > on which machine as which user is this command being run?

    imaps server, bootes.

    > what do you mean by "getting rid of factotum".

    I will recreate it tonight to make sure IIRC :-)

    > if(pw->expire > 0 && pw->expire <= now)

    It's signed? When do we hit Y2010? :-)

    thanks

    ron