[9fans] I'm puzzled - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] I'm puzzled - Plan9 ; I just got this and I don't know why. Never seen it. I thought the key I set up was never expire. cpu% auth/secstore -g factotum secstore password: auth/secstore: error: account expired I'm too dumb to figure the way out. ...

  1. [9fans] I'm puzzled

    I just got this and I don't know why. Never seen it. I thought the key
    I set up was never expire.

    cpu% auth/secstore -g factotum
    secstore password:
    auth/secstore: error: account expired

    I'm too dumb to figure the way out. Sorry.

    So, how do you dig yourself out of this hole? I can just fix the code
    to disable that test, surely
    there is something better to do here.

    This is also another "useless message" example that drives part time
    guys like me nuts. Would it really absolutely run counter to all Plan
    9 principles, and violate peoples lives, fortunes, and sacred honor,
    to PRINT THE FRIGGING DATES? It would at least tell me, if the dates
    were totally nuts, that there was corruption going on here. This
    message contains (almost) not useful data.

    Just wondering.

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] I'm puzzled

    I've just pushed out a new auth/secstore/password.c that has better
    error messages and only believes non-zero expiry times.

  3. Re: [9fans] I'm puzzled

    how does that deal with the "never" expiring accounts, don't they have
    zero as the expiry date?

    On 5/28/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > I've just pushed out a new auth/secstore/password.c that has better
    > error messages and only believes non-zero expiry times.

  4. Re: [9fans] I'm puzzled

    On 5/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > how does that deal with the "never" expiring accounts, don't they have
    > zero as the expiry date?
    >
    > On 5/28/07, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > > I've just pushed out a new auth/secstore/password.c that has better
    > > error messages and only believes non-zero expiry times.

    BTW, the auth/enable did not work at all.

    I am running, right now, with a hacked secstored (well, password.c is
    hacked with an 'expired, like I care' print to fd 2) that ignores the
    expired error. I have no idea what's wrong here. I just know how to
    work around it.

    thanks

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] I'm puzzled

    > This is also another "useless message" example that drives part time
    > guys like me nuts. Would it really absolutely run counter to all Plan
    > 9 principles, and violate peoples lives, fortunes, and sacred honor,
    > to PRINT THE FRIGGING DATES? It would at least tell me, if the dates
    > were totally nuts, that there was corruption going on here. This
    > message contains (almost) not useful data.

    for what it's worth, most of the error messages do
    try to be helpful now. it was harder to be helpful
    when the errors were limited to 28 bytes in old 9p,
    and the auth server code has not been updated
    since they got bigger. at least you didn't get EACCES
    or something like that.

    russ

  6. Re: [9fans] I'm puzzled

    On 5/29/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    >at least you didn't get EACCES
    > or something like that.

    yep, you're right.

    Anyways, I'm closer, I found that once I had a working factotum on the
    node -- i.e. I got the rsa key into the factotum so that tls would
    work -- (this is in essence a combined auth/fs/cpu node) then mail
    passwords stopped working.

    Closer. Will update wiki when I figure this all out.

    thanks

    ron

+ Reply to Thread