[9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image - Plan9 ; I have Plan 9 installed in Xen. At start I have allocated just enough space for Plan 9 but I found out later that I need more disk space. So, I used "dd" to extend my disk image that has ...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image

    I have Plan 9 installed in Xen. At start I have allocated just enough
    space for Plan 9 but I found out later that I need more disk space.
    So, I used "dd" to extend my disk image that has Plan 9 on.

    However, Plan 9 is not recognizing this extended space. disk/prep
    shows no additional free space.

    How do I get Plan 9 to recognize the additional free space and resize
    the fossil partition?

    Thank you in advance,
    -eric

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image

    > So, I used "dd" to extend my disk image that has Plan 9 on.
    >
    > However, Plan 9 is not recognizing this extended space. disk/prep
    > shows no additional free space.

    You need to use disk/fdisk to enlarge (by deleting and reallocating)
    the plan 9 partition, before using disk/prep inside the plan 9
    partition to reorganise its sub-partitions.

    This will almost certainly lose all your data. Why not just delete
    and reallocate the whole disk image file and reinstall?

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image

    > This will almost certainly lose all your data. Why not just delete
    > and reallocate the whole disk image file and reinstall?

    I do not want to reinstall Plan 9 and reconfigure it if possible, as
    it is hard for me to find a full free day to do that.

    (Being a novice in Plan 9, I do not know how to backup files to ease
    the reinstallation)

    -eric

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 not recognizing Xen extended disk image

    > I do not want to reinstall Plan 9 and reconfigure it if possible, as
    > it is hard for me to find a full free day to do that.

    The fossil fs is not designed to be resized dynamically.

    If you don't want to backup and reinstall, and you have enough
    physical disk space to hold (temporarily) two disk images, you
    could create a new disk image and restart plan 9 with both old
    and new image attached, format the new fossil, and copy your
    files from the old fossil to the new.

    Are you using venti as well as fossil? In that case, it would be
    the data in venti that you need to copy from old new new image,
    and then you can just initialise the fossil with the venti score.

+ Reply to Thread