[9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00) - Plan9 ; Hi, I want to learn Plan 9, so I downloaded the latest[*] version of the live CD. I want to use the following PC hardware for this: - mainboard, CPU, memory: MSI K7T Turbo 2 (VIA VT82C686, KT133) with an ...

  1. [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    Hi,

    I want to learn Plan 9, so I downloaded the latest[*] version of the
    live CD.

    I want to use the following PC hardware for this:

    - mainboard, CPU, memory: MSI K7T Turbo 2 (VIA VT82C686, KT133) with
    an AMD Duron 850 and 768 MB RAM
    - storage: Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller (LSI Logic / Symbios Logic
    53c895 (rev 01)) with 2 x 36GB disks
    - ethernet controllers: 2 x VT6102

    When I boot Plan 9 from the CD, the system seems to hang:

    --- begin ---
    Plan 9
    E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory
    E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 memory
    E820: 000f0000 00100000 reserved
    E820: 00100000 2fff0000 memory
    E820: 2fff0000 2fff3000 acpi nvs
    E820: 2fff3000 30000000 acpi reclaim
    E820: ffff0000 10000000 reserved
    126 holes free
    00017000 0009f000 557056
    00264000 10000000 265928704
    266485760 bytes free
    cpu0: 850MHz AuthenticAMD AMD-Athlon (cpuid: ...)
    ELCR: 1E20
    pcirouting: BIOS workaround: PCI.0.7.2 at pin 4 link 5 irq 11 -> 5
    pcirouting: BIOS workaround: PCI.0.7.5 at pin 3 link 3 irq 10 -> 11
    sd53c8xx: SYM53C895 rev. 0x01 intr=11 command=0007
    768M memory: 256M kernel data, 511M user, 1136M swap
    root is from (...)[local!#S/sdD0/data]:
    sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)
    --- end ---

    After this line, the system seems to hang i.e. it doesn't continue.

    When I choose to install Plan 9 from the CD, the output is similar:

    --- begin ---
    768M memory: ...
    kfs...version...time...

    init: starting /bin/rc
    sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)
    --- end ---

    Before I get the menu to choose either 1 (install from CD) or 2 (boot
    the CD), I also noticed the following line:

    --- begin ---
    sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(9f) stest2(00)
    --- end ---

    It takes several seconds before this line "returns" and the menu is
    presented.

    I searched the web to see if this is a known issue, but didn't get any
    usefull result. [The SYM53C895 seems to be supported well, but I'm not
    sure if this is also valid for "rev. 0x01". In addition to that, I
    also wonder if there might be a problem with irq sharing. According to
    the ESCD data (from the BIOS), the SCSI controller and the "Multimedia
    Device" (Bus 0, Dev 7, Func 5) share irq 11 (and the pcirouting (2nd
    line) seems to be ok). Note that all PCI slots share irq's with one or
    another slot/device.]

    Can somebody explain me or point me to a document explaining me how to
    debug or work around this issue? Can I somehow boot with more debug
    information? If so, how can I do this?

    [*] Mon May 21 04:50:24 EDT 2007 md5 e189331bf8f56370881f49efb85d9423
    sha1 68dce6328cffdd623f2b4fc47b3822a6fbc4302e plan9.iso.bz2

    Kind regards,

    --
    Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be

  2. Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    I am successfully using one of those cards on my
    fossil server. It emits that message every time
    it boots (the last time it booted the values were
    00 and 00; I can't claim they are every time).

    If I can be of use in debugging, let me know...
    I should have time starting Wednesday.

    Have you checked that your SCSI bus is terminated?

    Dave Eckhardt

  3. Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    i'd suspect that the interrupts aren't getting through.

  4. Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:16:24PM -0400, Dave Eckhardt wrote:
    > I am successfully using one of those cards on my
    > fossil server. It emits that message every time
    > it boots (the last time it booted the values were
    > 00 and 00; I can't claim they are every time).
    >
    > If I can be of use in debugging, let me know...
    > I should have time starting Wednesday.
    >
    > Have you checked that your SCSI bus is terminated?

    As this system has always been running Debian GNU/Linux, I would say
    yes.

    Nevertheless, I also checked the user manual of the card and found out
    that I should actually use the special twisted pair ribbon cable with
    a SCSI terminator (LVD) to use Ultra2 SCSI (my disks are U2W) instead
    of the flat cable (SE) which is only for Ultra/Wide SCSI.

    I didn't know there was a difference between the 2 cables and used the
    flat cable (having 3 connectors) as the machine only has 2 SCSI disks
    anyway (so all 3 connectors would be used). The ribbon cable would
    have connectors left over: it has 6 connectors: 1 for the controller,
    1 for an LVD terminator and 4 for disks. I always thought that the 2
    unused connectors would leave the SCSI bus open.

    After switching the cables (not the connector), the Linux on the
    harddisk worked as before (with no noticable difference but I didn't
    investigate throughput or so any further). The Plan 9 CD didn't get
    any further however.

    --
    Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be

  5. Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    It doesn't help you much but I use symbios SCSI cards in two servers.
    The only problems I have had have been related to a dubious drive
    which was sitting on the bus. This I worked around by hacking the driver,
    however even I when I had this problem I got further than you are.

    Sorry, but it should work.

    -Steve

  6. Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)

    On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:49:35AM +0100, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > i'd suspect that the interrupts aren't getting through.

    That's also what I first thought. Before posting my question to the
    list, I therefore also checked the IRQ assignments to the PCI slots
    and put the card in the one PCI slot that didn't share an IRQ with
    another PCI slot.

    Apart from the PCI slots however, there are still some other devices
    (like AC97 audio and USB ports) sharing IRQs so I started playing with
    them i.e. disabling devices, checking IRQ assignment, ...

    All this trial and error, with lots of reboots, finally resulted in 1
    BIOS setting being crucial namely "Assignment of IRQ to USB". If this
    is enabled, the system "hangs", if it is disabled, the system
    boots[*].

    Note that I also removed a dual serial port PCI card. I will add this
    one again tomorrow and test with the latest Plan 9 CD.
    [*] With an older Plan 9 CD I had because the one from May 21 2007
    seemed to be broken (also already mentionned by someone else on
    the list).

    --
    Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be

+ Reply to Thread