[9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script - Plan9 ; Moin, I read my email with p9ps acme and mailfs and searching for a possibility to delete mails via script. Would be nice if I can "blacklist" some threads. There are a "ctl" and a "search" file in the mbox ...

  1. [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    Moin,

    I read my email with p9ps acme and mailfs and searching for
    a possibility to delete mails via script. Would be nice if I can
    "blacklist" some threads. There are a "ctl" and a "search" file in the
    mbox but I don't know exactly how to use both.

    How can I delete email from mailfs with a script?

    Many thanks
    Matthias

  2. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    > I read my email with p9ps acme and mailfs and searching for
    > a possibility to delete mails via script. Would be nice if I can
    > "blacklist" some threads. There are a "ctl" and a "search" file in the
    > mbox but I don't know exactly how to use both.

    The search file is unused (but implemented).
    The idea is you write a search string
    and read back a list of message ids.

    The ctl file allows bulk deletion - you write
    delete 1 2 3 4 5
    and it deletes the messages with those ids.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    pedantic note.

    the search file is a p9p-only thing. it is
    not available on the plan 9 upas/fs.

    - erik

    > The search file is unused (but implemented).
    > The idea is you write a search string
    > and read back a list of message ids.
    >
    > The ctl file allows bulk deletion - you write
    > delete 1 2 3 4 5
    > and it deletes the messages with those ids.
    >
    > Russ

  4. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    On 5/18/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > > I read my email with p9ps acme and mailfs and searching for
    > > a possibility to delete mails via script. Would be nice if I can
    > > "blacklist" some threads. There are a "ctl" and a "search" file in the
    > > mbox but I don't know exactly how to use both.

    > The search file is unused (but implemented).
    > The idea is you write a search string
    > and read back a list of message ids.

    so, I was messing around in acme mail, and wanted to try something like this:
    Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/d
    I.e. blow messages away from those guys, but I never got it to quite
    work. What am I missing?

    thanks

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/d
    > I.e. blow messages away from those guys, but I never got it to quite
    > work. What am I missing?

    It would be nice if that worked, but
    acme's mail window is not directly
    editable. Just like editing the subject
    text doesn't change the subject in
    the underlying message.

    You can always use plain mail to do
    that - g%1-800-FLOWERS%d

    Russ

  6. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    On 5/23/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/d
    > > I.e. blow messages away from those guys, but I never got it to quite
    > > work. What am I missing?

    > It would be nice if that worked, but
    > acme's mail window is not directly
    > editable.

    Right, I said this incorrectly anyway. How to get something like this:
    Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/Delmsg
    Since Delmsg is not really an acme command, I assume won't work -- I
    tried it anyway.

    I want the effect of mixing up acme commands with the process attached
    to the window (no, I'm not sure I said that correctly).

    thanks

    ron

  7. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    > Right, I said this incorrectly anyway. How to get something like this:
    > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/Delmsg
    > Since Delmsg is not really an acme command, I assume won't work -- I
    > tried it anyway.
    >
    > I want the effect of mixing up acme commands with the process attached
    > to the window (no, I'm not sure I said that correctly).

    That's kind of interesting. It might not be hard to make

    Edit x/.*\n( .*\n)+/ g/flowers/ * Delmesg

    work (where * is a new command meaning
    execute like button 2). But that isn't implemented
    right now.

    Russ

  8. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    >> > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/d
    >> > I.e. blow messages away from those guys, but I never got it to quite
    >> > work. What am I missing?

    >> It would be nice if that worked, but
    >> acme's mail window is not directly
    >> editable.

    > Right, I said this incorrectly anyway. How to get something like this:
    > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/Delmsg
    > Since Delmsg is not really an acme command, I assume won't work -- I
    > tried it anyway.
    >
    > I want the effect of mixing up acme commands with the process attached
    > to the window (no, I'm not sure I said that correctly).

    something that might make Delmesg more useful with "Look", is if Delmesg
    tried to match /(^[0-9]+)/ in the current line when called.

  9. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    > work (where * is a new command meaning
    > execute like button 2). But that isn't implemented
    > right now.

    that's really interesting, it could be a general macro
    facility.

  10. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    > It might not be hard to make
    >
    > Edit x/.*\n( .*\n)+/ g/flowers/ * Delmesg
    >
    > work (where * is a new command meaning
    > execute like button 2). But that isn't implemented
    > right now.

    That would be very useful for a number of things — nice idea.

    Sape

  11. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    On 5/23/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > On 5/18/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > > > I read my email with p9ps acme and mailfs and searching for
    > > > a possibility to delete mails via script. Would be nice if I can
    > > > "blacklist" some threads. There are a "ctl" and a "search" file in the
    > > > mbox but I don't know exactly how to use both.

    > > The search file is unused (but implemented).
    > > The idea is you write a search string
    > > and read back a list of message ids.

    > so, I was messing around in acme mail, and wanted to try something like this:
    > Edit X/1-800-FLOWERS/d
    > I.e. blow messages away from those guys, but I never got it to quite
    > work. What am I missing?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ron

    What do you have against flowers? :-)

  12. Re: [9fans] delete mail from mailfs via script

    On 5/23/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > > work (where * is a new command meaning
    > > execute like button 2). But that isn't implemented
    > > right now.

    > that's really interesting, it could be a general macro
    > facility.

    Indeed, I'd love a feature like that.

+ Reply to Thread