Re: Warning: Rant. Please disregard. [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: Warning: Rant. Please disregard. [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM - Plan9 ; Douglas A. Gwyn wrote: > Dave Lukes wrote: > > Given a wonderful OS used by 10 people or a crap OS used by 10E6 > > people, I'll take the former. > The problem with that is that, except ...

  1. Re: Warning: Rant. Please disregard. [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM

    Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
    > Dave Lukes wrote:
    > > Given a wonderful OS used by 10 people or a crap OS used by 10E6
    > > people, I'll take the former.

    > The problem with that is that, except perhaps for research purposes,
    > an OS is not an end in itself, but rather a platform supporting
    > applications, which are what actually satisfy human needs.

    To be specific:
    the _percieved_ _needs_ of _it's_ user base.

    > As time goes on, the popular platforms acquire a large number of apps

    that
    > become ever more essential

    "Essential"?
    AFAIK the list of human "essentials" still only includes
    air, water, food, shelter and sex*.
    All the rest is window dressing.

    The above may sound facetious but is seriously intended:
    what your user community views as essential is down to that community,
    not down to some perceived need for global conformity.

    > (PDF reader or MPG viewer, for example).

    Why does one _need_ an mpg viewer?

    > If the OS developer population is below some critical mass, it can't
    > keep up with such user requirements and eventually the platform
    > becomes in effect unusable for what have become everyday needs.

    I refer to my formula-1 analogy.
    a Ferrari _is_ "in effect unusable for ... everyday needs",
    yet I hear no-one decrying the imminent demise of the brand.

    > (There are similar problems in keeping up with device driver support
    > for new hardware.)

    Again, by analogy, F-1 teams don't suffer from this problem.
    i.e. there are solutions to this, but they involve lots of money ....

    > Linux seems to have reached the critical
    > threshold, so it is "alive and well"; Plan9 seems to be well below
    > that threshold, and has become largely irrelevant, except perhaps as
    > a testing ground for ideas that may get adopted into more popular
    > platforms.

    Hmmm ... Bit like a formula-1 car, really ...

    D.

    * and chocolate or course.

    This e-mail and files transmitted with it are confidential. If you
    have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately by
    return email or telephone +44 (0)207398 0207. You are not authorised
    to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message
    or any part of it.

  2. Re: Warning: Rant. Please disregard. [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM

    > * and chocolate or course.

    Chocolate is part of sex.

    ++L

  3. Re: Warning: Rant. Please disregard. [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM

    On 5/17/07, Dave Lukes wrote:
    > "Essential"?
    > AFAIK the list of human "essentials" still only includes
    > air, water, food, shelter and sex*.
    > All the rest is window dressing.
    >
    > > (PDF reader or MPG viewer, for example).

    > Why does one _need_ an mpg viewer?

    For sex.
    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat