[9fans] xen bit-rot - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] xen bit-rot - Plan9 ; There has been a new release of xen (3.0.4) and some changes to the Plan 9 kernel which had stopped /n/sources/xen/xen3 from compiling. I've brought it up to date again, and also removed the "restart='never'" line from the example Plan ...

  1. [9fans] xen bit-rot

    There has been a new release of xen (3.0.4) and some changes to the
    Plan 9 kernel which had stopped /n/sources/xen/xen3 from compiling.
    I've brought it up to date again, and also removed the
    "restart='never'" line from the example Plan 9 domain config files,
    because the 3.0.4 xen daemon seems to object to it.

    I've kept the source backwards compatible, so it will still compile
    with xen 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 headers as well.

    -- Richard

  2. Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot

    > I've brought it up to date again, and also removed the
    > "restart='never'" line from the example Plan 9 domain config files,
    > because the 3.0.4 xen daemon seems to object to it.

    Who said Plan 9 is dying?

    Actually, my suggestion to Ron Minnich was to reverse the tables on
    Xen by putting Plan 9 in Dom 0 and offering Plan 9-like device drivers
    via Xen to paravirtualized kernels so that all Open Source kernels
    would have a sensible basis to work from.

    Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
    ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.

    ++L

  3. Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot

    On 5/16/07, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

    > Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
    > ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.

    you first :-)

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot

    >> Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
    >> ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.

    > you first :-)

    Fair call. But Xen is so slippery...

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread