[9fans] thinkpad wifi hardware choice? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] thinkpad wifi hardware choice? - Plan9 ; according to thinkwiki some newer thinkpads (*60*) either have intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG or atheros based ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter. would there be a plan 9 related reason to prefer one over the other? Axel....

  1. [9fans] thinkpad wifi hardware choice?

    according to thinkwiki some newer thinkpads (*60*) either have
    intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG or atheros based ThinkPad 11a/b/g
    Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter.

    would there be a plan 9 related reason to prefer one over the other?

    Axel.

  2. Re: [9fans] thinkpad wifi hardware choice?

    hello

    there is a half-done intel wifi driver on Russ contrib dir, that may
    be could be 'updated' to the new centrino chips (should be finished
    first )

    on the other hand, you could buy a card with a compatible chip
    (orinoco) and plug it in the Wireless LAN Mini Express Port , not
    sure if that works, iirc that mini port was just a pci thing :-?

    gabi

    On 5/16/07, Axel Belinfante wrote:
    > according to thinkwiki some newer thinkpads (*60*) either have
    > intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG or atheros based ThinkPad 11a/b/g
    > Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter.
    >
    > would there be a plan 9 related reason to prefer one over the other?
    >
    > Axel.

  3. Re: [9fans] thinkpad wifi hardware choice?

    On 5/16/07, Gabriel Diaz wrote:
    > hello
    > on the other hand, you could buy a card with a compatible chip
    > (orinoco) and plug it in the Wireless LAN Mini Express Port , not
    > sure if that works, iirc that mini port was just a pci thing :-?

    It's PCI-Express equivalent of MiniPCI slot, with 1x signal IIRC (But
    I could be wrong)
    I don't know about PCI-Express WiFi cards supported by Plan 9, but an
    Orinoco+PCI-Ex-PCI bridge should work. Don't know about availability
    of those.

    --
    Paul Lasek

+ Reply to Thread