[9fans] An idiot question - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] An idiot question - Plan9 ; I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed cat /mnt/wsys/wctl It proceeded to output information about the current window and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it. My question is, how to I terminate cat ...

  1. [9fans] An idiot question

    I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed

    cat /mnt/wsys/wctl

    It proceeded to output information about the current window
    and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.

    My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
    command prompt?

    Kim

  2. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    with the delete key. (assuming you're running rio.)

    - erik

    On Sat May 12 20:28:49 EDT 2007, kim@tinker.com wrote:
    > I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed
    >
    > cat /mnt/wsys/wctl
    >
    > It proceeded to output information about the current window
    > and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.
    >
    > My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
    > command prompt?
    >
    > Kim

  3. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    > My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
    > command prompt?

    Just type

    -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    I am running rio. The delete key isn't working. If I type
    some characters the delete key does back up and delete them.
    When I get to the beginning of the line, nothing happens.

    I'll look into seeing if it is mapped to return something
    other than del.

    Kim

    On May 12, 2007, at 6:33 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > with the delete key. (assuming you're running rio.)
    >
    > - erik
    >
    > On Sat May 12 20:28:49 EDT 2007, kim@tinker.com wrote:
    >> I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed
    >>
    >> cat /mnt/wsys/wctl
    >>
    >> It proceeded to output information about the current window
    >> and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.
    >>
    >> My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
    >> command prompt?
    >>
    >> Kim

  5. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    could you perhaps be confusing the backspace and delete keys? that
    would happen if you were using a mac keyboard (the backspace is marked
    as "delete" there). i am running drawterm on a mac here and have to
    press fn+delete (the function key and what is normally backspace) to
    emulate the "del" of a 101-key keyboard.

  6. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    your keyboard may be labled strangly. if you have a
    101-key keyboard, the delete key should be in the lower
    left in the set of six above the arrow keys to the right
    of the querty layout.

    here's a picture
    http://horstmann.com/bigj/help/windows/keyboard.gif

    if that doesn't work, perhaps backspace
    and delete have been swapped?

    in all cases +X007f will get you an according-to-hoyle
    delete. to type this double-vulcan nerve pinch on a pc style
    keyboard, hold down X at the same time then
    type the caracters '0' '0' '7' 'f'. (no need to sacrifice a goat. a chicken
    will do.) this is 007f is the unicode codepoint which corrisponds
    to . i don't know what maps to on non-pc
    keyboards.

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    fn+delete works perfectly.

    Thanks.
    Kim

    On May 12, 2007, at 7:18 PM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

    > could you perhaps be confusing the backspace and delete keys? that
    > would happen if you were using a mac keyboard (the backspace is marked
    > as "delete" there). i am running drawterm on a mac here and have to
    > press fn+delete (the function key and what is normally backspace) to
    > emulate the "del" of a 101-key keyboard.

  8. Re: [9fans] An idiot question

    great info. i have a few mac usb keyboards (they last longer
    than iMacs and get discarded on the street - with f*cked iMac).
    i've always wanted a del from them.

    thanks,

    brucee

    On 5/13/07, Kim Shrier wrote:
    > fn+delete works perfectly.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Kim
    >
    > On May 12, 2007, at 7:18 PM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    >
    > > could you perhaps be confusing the backspace and delete keys? that
    > > would happen if you were using a mac keyboard (the backspace is marked
    > > as "delete" there). i am running drawterm on a mac here and have to
    > > press fn+delete (the function key and what is normally backspace) to
    > > emulate the "del" of a 101-key keyboard.

+ Reply to Thread