Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?] - Plan9

This is a discussion on Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?] - Plan9 ; On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote: > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion? > > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code. I started work on it on > my Dell Latitude D610, ...

  1. Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?

    > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code. I started work on it on
    > my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way. By
    > the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.

    Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver?

    Regards,
    Vester

  2. [9fans] Re: Broadcom driver discussion

    > Is anyone else working on the driver?

    Why? Broadcom refuses to release any info on their hardware. Why
    should anyone spend time prying the lid off a welded-shut trashcan
    when they can spend much less time writing drivers for chipsets with
    documentation. Well, more documentation than Broadcom. Which is to
    say 'any'.

    There are alternatives to Broadcom. Just buy them.

    --lyndon

  3. Re: [9fans] Re: Broadcom driver discussion

    We all know broadcom is ****, but there are still people interested in
    having a working driver (and for the record, that doesn't include me),
    and there are people that have already at least partially working
    drivers.

    There is *no* reason why existing code should be kept locked up where
    nobody can find it. *period*

    uriel

    On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > Is anyone else working on the driver?

    > Why? Broadcom refuses to release any info on their hardware. Why
    > should anyone spend time prying the lid off a welded-shut trashcan
    > when they can spend much less time writing drivers for chipsets with
    > documentation. Well, more documentation than Broadcom. Which is to
    > say 'any'.
    >
    > There are alternatives to Broadcom. Just buy them.
    >
    > --lyndon

  4. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    On 5/11/07, Vester Thacker wrote:
    > On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?

    > > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code. I started work on it on
    > > my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way. By
    > > the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.

    > Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver?

    Question is who has the latest code and why the hell it is not
    released so others can test/work on it?

    By the way, there is some code in
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c.../mirror/bc.tgz for
    bcm57xx, I have no clue in what state it is in or if it is the latest
    code.

    Eric Van Hensbergen said two months ago in a private post to the GSoC website:
    "jmk says bcm4401 is done internally and working, but just needs
    tidying up." What that means is beyond me, and as far as I know the
    code is still nowhere to be found.

    Again, this is not the first, second, third or twentieth time we have
    had to play this silly little dances with people keeping code private
    and everyone else having to play ridiculous guess games.

    It is so hard to understand that this is not just wrong, but it is
    specially *stupid*?

    uriel

  5. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    > It is so hard to understand that this is not just wrong, but it is
    > specially *stupid*?

    While I understand your sentiments, I must ask:

    Where do you get off telling me what to do with my stuff?

    --lyndon

  6. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    You can do with your stuff whatever the hell you like.

    Sorry for trying to promote some sense and less waste of resources and
    people's time and efforts.

    To hell with Plan 9, it seems that nobody gives a **** about it
    anyway, I'm certainly a moron for giving a ****.

    uriel

    On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > It is so hard to understand that this is not just wrong, but it is
    > > specially *stupid*?

    > While I understand your sentiments, I must ask:
    >
    > Where do you get off telling me what to do with my stuff?
    >
    > --lyndon

  7. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    Uriel. You're spouting about things you know nothing about. As usual.
    The broadcom code that you have there is simply a compilation of
    sources and compiled sources for various non-Plan 9 platforms, like I
    told you the first time you posted it. The Plan 9 stuff in there was
    too minimal to be useful. The BCM44xx is NOTHING like the ServerWorks
    57xx chipsets. It's a different driver. And can everybody just ****ing
    stop with the FUD? PLEASE? In all these threads?

    I'm helping quanstro out with getting documentation and getting
    something out there. Come on, people, this isn't high school drama.

    Also, Uriel. Please see archives regarding my AC'97 post. There are
    many benefits to the CMU AC'97 driver that the one Aki wrote doesn't
    have. Take some lithium for Heaven's sake before you have a stroke.

    --dho

  8. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60enotebook compatible with Plan9?]

    On 5/11/07, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

    > 57xx chipsets. It's a different driver. And can everybody just ****ing
    > stop with the FUD? PLEASE? In all these threads?
    >
    > I'm helping quanstro out with getting documentation and getting
    > something out there. Come on, people, this isn't high school drama.

    In my case, it is closer to geriatric drama. In hindsight, I
    shouldn't had separated the topics into multiple threads. It was not
    my intent to create noise. I was hoping to clear the air by asking
    reasonable questions and hoping for reasonable answers in well
    organized threads.

    Perhaps this is not the correct forum for asking questions concerning
    the Plan 9 community topics. I am certain most folks here would much
    rather spend their time discussing technical issues than addressing
    community concerns. Should we move the community concerns to another
    mailing list?

    --Vester

  9. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e

    > Should we move the community concerns to another
    > mailing list?

    No, we should force every fresh "community" discussion to go through
    some sort of Jim Choates filter. This is the place for community
    discussion, at least for some of us, but Uriel's tone reminds me that
    some are community builders and some are community sponges. No
    community is perfect, but 9fans seems to work OK without Uriel's
    whinges.

    ++L

  10. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e

    > but 9fans seems to work OK without Uriel's whinges.

    He's not the only whinger. Give me a Uriel plan9 rant over C99 whining
    any day.

  11. Re: Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e

    > He's not the only whinger. Give me a Uriel plan9 rant over C99 whining
    > any day.

    Touché.

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread