[9fans] crypto licensing - Plan9

  2. Re: [9fans] crypto licensing

    2007/5/10, don bailey :

  3. Re: [9fans] crypto licensing

  4. Re: [9fans] crypto licensing

    2007/5/10, don bailey :

  5. Re: [9fans] crypto licensing

    > Right, that's what I understand but I can't *prove* it. Are there places
    > online where I can find a verified current status for algorithm
    > specific licenses? Like, is there someplace that RSADSI says "yes, we've
    > let go of MD5 and RSA for public use."?

    RSA was restricted by patent, since expired. The top item when I Google
    "rsa patent" is a CNN story about RSA corp releasing the patent.

    Similarly, a Google search on "cryptography idea patent" returns a first
    hit on Wikipedia that lists the US patent number (5,214,703) along with a
    note that the patents expire in the 2010-11 time-frame.

    You get the idea ... You need to track down the relevant patent numbers,
    then see when they expire(d).

    --lyndon

    I think 3B2 code deserves its own place in hell. Poring over the
    ESS#5 code, someone found that there were lots of strcmp(p, "f(")
    == 0 checks (I may have gotten the exact string wrong but it's
    close). It took us a while to figure out why. Apparently, location
    0 on the 3b had the 3 bytes 'f' '(' '\0', someone noticed that when
    programs blew up they were pointing to "f(", and the worlds most
    amazing kludge for detecting nil pointers was born.

    -- Dave Presotto

+ Reply to Thread