Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9? - Plan9 ; Hello all, I am thinking about buying of IBM ThinkPad R60e for playing with Plan 9 at home. Does anybody know if it is compatible with Plan 9? ( mainly integrated graphics and ethernet card, I don't care about wifi ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    Hello all,

    I am thinking about buying of IBM ThinkPad R60e for playing with Plan
    9 at home.
    Does anybody know if it is compatible with Plan 9?
    ( mainly integrated graphics and ethernet card, I don't care about
    wifi )

    Antonin

  2. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    Hello,

    Integrated graphics work fine for me, but the ethernet card don't work. But I think there's a
    driver in progress.

    Regards

  3. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    That's a pity. Without a network it is useless for me. :-(
    Thank you for your reply.

    Antonin

    Markus Sonderegger napsal:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Integrated graphics work fine for me, but the ethernet card don't work. But I think there's a
    > driver in progress.
    >
    > Regards

  4. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    you can always run Plan 9 on a vm like qemu or vmware.

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  5. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    it's a "Broadcom Integrated BCM 5752". is someone working on this?
    i almost started on this one until i realized my wife was not about to
    give up her thinkpad. ;-)

    the linux driver (tg3) is daunting. 12000 lines to drive an ethernet card.
    yikes!

    i think some people use 8139-based cardbus adapters.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    My machine uses the "Broadcom BCM5751M". In the wiki i saw that jmk and
    Georg Gensure where working on this

  7. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    Yes, I know...
    I decided to buy a pc, which will run my fs/auth/cpu server nativly
    (not emulated).

    Antonin

    Federico Benavento napsal:
    > you can always run Plan 9 on a vm like qemu or vmware.
    >
    > On 5/10/07, Antonin wrote:
    > > That's a pity. Without a network it is useless for me. :-(
    > > Thank you for your reply.
    > >
    > > Antonin
    > >
    > > Markus Sonderegger napsal:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Integrated graphics work fine for me, but the ethernet card don't work. But I think there's a
    > > > driver in progress.
    > > >
    > > > Regards

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

  8. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > the linux driver (tg3) is daunting. 12000 lines to drive an ethernet card.
    > yikes!

    they often do that. it's usually just silly.

  9. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    i wouldn't mind but with the nonexistance of broadcomm documentation,
    you have to crib from the linux or bsd drivers (usually both).

    hey, wasn't the whole linux 0.10 kernel just ~10,000 lines of code?

    oh, well. time to read /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/adventure again. ;-)

    the troll laughs uproariously.

    - erik

  10. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > i wouldn't mind but with the nonexistance of broadcomm documentation,
    > you have to crib from the linux or bsd drivers (usually both).

    i know. it's pathetic. ``why, this is Hell, nor am I out of it. ...''

  11. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    hello

    i used to use one of those cards until it crashed, a "corporative"
    change made me to change the notebook to a new brand, so i'll never
    know what was happening , i will try plan9 in the compaq nc8430
    soon, it has a broadcom card too, but i hope this time the realtek
    card works.

    gabi

    On 5/10/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > it's a "Broadcom Integrated BCM 5752". is someone working on this?
    > i almost started on this one until i realized my wife was not about to
    > give up her thinkpad. ;-)
    >
    > the linux driver (tg3) is daunting. 12000 lines to drive an ethernet card.
    > yikes!
    >
    > i think some people use 8139-based cardbus adapters.
    >
    > - erik

  12. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    2007/5/10, erik quanstrom :
    > i wouldn't mind but with the nonexistance of broadcomm documentation,
    > you have to crib from the linux or bsd drivers (usually both).

    I have the documentation on all 57xx serverworks chipsets and you
    still have to crib from the linux driver for errata. I can verify
    validity and work on this driver, but am hesitant to start from
    scratch due to theorized existence of partially working code.

    --dho

    > hey, wasn't the whole linux 0.10 kernel just ~10,000 lines of code?
    >
    > oh, well. time to read /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/adventure again. ;-)
    >
    > the troll laughs uproariously.
    >
    > - erik

  13. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    There have been at least two (known to some) broadcom drivers for at
    least a year, it is *appalling* that none of this code has been
    released so far.

    To expect people to duplicate existing work is ridiculous and stupid.

    uriel

    On 5/10/07, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > 2007/5/10, erik quanstrom :
    > > i wouldn't mind but with the nonexistance of broadcomm documentation,
    > > you have to crib from the linux or bsd drivers (usually both).

    > I have the documentation on all 57xx serverworks chipsets and you
    > still have to crib from the linux driver for errata. I can verify
    > validity and work on this driver, but am hesitant to start from
    > scratch due to theorized existence of partially working code.
    >
    > --dho
    >
    > > hey, wasn't the whole linux 0.10 kernel just ~10,000 lines of code?
    > >
    > > oh, well. time to read /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/adventure again. ;-)
    > >
    > > the troll laughs uproariously.
    > >
    > > - erik

  14. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    On 5/11/07, Uriel wrote:

    > To expect people to duplicate existing work is ridiculous and stupid.

    Providing negative criticism without recommending a solution is not
    going to improve the situation. Consider contacting the individuals
    involved directly, organize a meeting, or start another thread to
    address the issue.

    Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?

    HTH,
    Vester

  15. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion?

    jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code. I started work on it on
    my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way. By
    the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced.

    Meanwhile, I'm so pissed off with Broadcom's attitude that I just
    refuse to use their hardware any more. I have enough spare Realtek
    and Via PCI cards that it's not a problem for me right now.

    What I'm more interested in is getting the supported hardware list
    up-to-date for PCMCIA and Cardbus Ethernet cards.

    --lyndon

  16. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    On 5/11/07, Vester Thacker wrote:
    > On 5/11/07, Uriel wrote:
    > >
    > > To expect people to duplicate existing work is ridiculous and stupid.

    > Providing negative criticism without recommending a solution is not
    > going to improve the situation.

    How many times people need to be told to put their damned code in sources?
    Or is this such a totally crazy thing to ask of a supposedly open
    source project?

    Or is asking people to do 9fs + cp(1) too much? Of course it would be
    better if people actually posted a short comment about their work to
    9fans, but I can do even without that as long as people puts the
    damned code somewhere where others can find it.

    Because it is not the first, second or third time we have to go
    through this ridiculous game. It was embarrassing enough to have
    people submit one GSoC proposal after another where we had to tell
    them "oh, I'm sorry, that is already done, it is just that whoever did
    it has not bothered to release the code so far, please come up with
    another project".

    uriel

  17. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > How many times people need to be told to put their damned code in sources?
    > Or is this such a totally crazy thing to ask of a supposedly open
    > source project?

    Maybe their damned code isn't ready to ship yet?

    I think what you're really bitching about is the lack of an "active projects" list.

    The problem with advertising that you are working on something is the
    endless stream of "are we there yet?" messages that result.

    --lyndon

  18. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    Fans:

    I am gonna write some broadcom drivers for the 4411 chipset. I am also
    looking forward to write some wireless drivers.

    Broadcom has some reasons not to release their specs... They made a
    bad marketing/engineering/client decission. Many of their chipsets are
    used by the US military. They then have "public" drivers for the
    masses and the ones with "military" functions.

    I know for sure that at least the USAF uses _a lot_ of broadcom
    chipsets on critical comm.

    I'd like to know about those of you that have a broadcom chipset...
    And if you would be willing to test my driver attempts...

    I think we really have to work on hardware support. There is another
    not_so_good OS around being a mainstream choice because of its
    _impressive_ hardware support... It is not about being a lot of users,
    but being able to use plan 9 (or inferno) everywhere we want.

    Cheers!

  19. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > How many times people need to be told to put their damned code in sources?
    > > Or is this such a totally crazy thing to ask of a supposedly open
    > > source project?

    > Maybe their damned code isn't ready to ship yet?

    What is "ready to ship"? and if it is not "ready to ship" and is not
    released there is no way in hell anyone else is going to help make it
    "ready to ship".

    > I think what you're really bitching about is the lack of an "active projects" list.

    That would be nice, but is secondary.

    > The problem with advertising that you are working on something is the
    > endless stream of "are we there yet?" messages that result.

    And that problem goes away if people actually puts their damned code
    somewhere where people can see it, and they can 1) see it for
    themselves 2) try it for themselves 3) fix/finish it by themselves

    As things are we have random people showing up and asking "I would
    like to work in implementing Foo" "someone is already working on it"
    "who?" "we are not sure" "where is the code?" "it is not released"
    "what is the status?" "we don't know" - the interested potential
    contributor goes away frustrated and pissed off.

    This could be simply be avoided if one was able to point to wherever
    they can find the latest code and they can figure out whatever it
    works or whatever they can fix it or not on their own.

    The current madness doesn't avoid the "are we there yet?" messages, it
    only makes them worse. The OHCI/USB 2.0 drivers are a good example of
    this, I have lost count of how many people have been rumoured to have
    worked on that, and I don't think anybody has a clue of really what
    the status is and what still needs to be done.

    uriel

  20. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > This could be simply be avoided if one was able to point to wherever
    > they can find the latest code and they can figure out whatever it
    > works or whatever they can fix it or not on their own.

    No it doesn't. Me putting up my development code won't do anyone any
    good, and will proactively slow me down because I have answer
    questions about 'why doesn't this compile? what the f*** are you
    doing here? where is this function you call (that I haven't written
    yet)?' etc. Even ignoring those questions takes time.

    But it would be useful to be able to hoist a flag saying 'I am
    working on all things related to IMAP right now, so if you're planning
    to bugger around with that code, please drop me a note so we can let
    each other know where we're stepping on each other.'

    --lyndon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast