Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9? - Plan9

This is a discussion on Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9? - Plan9 ; On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote: > > This could be simply be avoided if one was able to point to wherever > > they can find the latest code and they can figure out whatever it > > works or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > This could be simply be avoided if one was able to point to wherever
    > > they can find the latest code and they can figure out whatever it
    > > works or whatever they can fix it or not on their own.

    > No it doesn't. Me putting up my development code won't do anyone any
    > good,

    This is patently false as I explained in my email, making the code
    available answers most questions by itself and shifts the burden to
    whoever is interested in the code to deal with it on their own.

    > and will proactively slow me down because I have answer
    > questions about 'why doesn't this compile? what the f*** are you
    > doing here? where is this function you call (that I haven't written
    > yet)?' etc. Even ignoring those questions takes time.

    Has this ever really been a problem or it is pure speculation? And to
    be honest, if you want to dump your code in a random sources/contrib
    dir without providing any contact email address I would still be quite
    happy with that.

    > But it would be useful to be able to hoist a flag saying 'I am
    > working on all things related to IMAP right now, so if you're planning
    > to bugger around with that code, please drop me a note so we can let
    > each other know where we're stepping on each other.'

    First you ask not to be bothered by anyone, and now you want people to
    email you so you can "let each other know where we're stepping on each
    other.'" I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

    Plan 9 is the only "open source" project where this kind of ridiculous
    practices exist. Why on earth Plan 9 has to be different and drive
    everyone around crazy is beyond me.

    uriel

  2. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    About a month ago I changed my mail filters
    to drop all mail from Uriel, because, as Lyndon
    points out, even ignoring those posts takes time.

    I still see the backscatter of other people replying
    to Uriel, so I know he's still there, but I've been pretty
    happy with the results so far. And judging from
    the tone of the backscatter, everyone else would
    be too.

    Just a thought.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > I'd like to know about those of you that have a broadcom chipset...
    > And if you would be willing to test my driver attempts...

    I have access to many machines containing Broadcom NetXtreme crads
    which I believe are BCM4401.

    I would be happy to do a bit of testing.

    -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

    > I'd like to know about those of you that have a broadcom chipset...
    > And if you would be willing to test my driver attempts...

    Yeap, I'm willed to test your drivers.

  5. Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2