[9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server - Plan9 ; I am having a few problems getting this going. I have a PC that I have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May 5th. Since I want to connect to it from my Mac ...

  1. [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    I am having a few problems getting this going. I have a PC that I
    have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May
    5th. Since I want to connect to it from my Mac using drawterm, I
    assume that I need to boot the Plan 9 box as a cpu/auth/file server.

    Following the instructions on
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/
    Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server/index.html
    is not working too well for me.

    Here are the steps I have gone through. I have booted the system
    and logged in as kim. When i created user kim, I added myself to
    the sys group.

    term% cd /rc/bin
    term% ed cpurc

    The contents on cpurc don't seem to aggree 100% with the instructions,
    but I think I figured out what needed to be done.

    term% con /srv/fscons
    prompt: uname bootes bootes
    prompt: fsys main
    main: create /active/cron/bootes bootes bootes d775
    main: create /active/sys/log/cron bootes bootes a664
    main: ctl-\>>> q

    The instructions don't say anything about ctl-\ and q but I assume
    that that is the correct thing to type.

    term% auth/keyfs
    bad nvram key
    bad authentication id
    bad authentication domain
    can't read /dev/key, please enter machine key
    Password: alongpassword
    Confirm password: alongpassword

    term% cd /lib/ndb
    term% ed auth

    I add the lines:
    hostid=bootes
    uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*

    At this point, the instructions tell you to copy 9pccpuf to /n/fat
    but there is no 9pccpuf. I read the instructions on building a
    kernel. I reboot the system and log in as user sys.

    % cd /sys/src/9/pc
    % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
    /tmp/mkarg000095: '/tmp/mkarg000095' permission denied

    We can't create the tmp file because /tmp is owned by sys:sys and
    the permissions are 555. What is the point of having a tmp
    directory that nobody can write to?

    % chmod 755 /tmp
    % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'

    Looks like everything worked. I reboot and log in as kim.

    term% 9fat:
    term% cp /sys/src/9/pc/9pccpuf /n/9fat/
    term% cd /n/9fat
    term% ed plan9.ini
    term% echo blahblahblah >/dev/sdC0/nvram

    I make the changes in the instructions including the startup menu
    so I can choose the kernel to boot. I then reboot and choose the
    9pccpuf kernel.

    root is from (tcp, il, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]: hit enter
    bad nvram key
    bad authentication id
    bad authentication domain
    authid: bootes
    authdom: tinker.com
    secstore key: someotherlongpassword
    password: adifferentpassword
    time...
    venti...fossil(#S/sdC0/fossil)...version...time...
    mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/il566: '/rc/bin/
    service.auth/il566' permission denied
    mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567: '/rc/bin/
    service.auth/tcp567' permission denied
    mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/il566: '/rc/bin/service/il566'
    does not exist
    mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/tcp567: '/rc/bin/service/tcp567'
    does not exist

    init: starting /bin/rc
    vh#

    I look at the permissions for /rc/bin/service.auth. It is also
    owned by sys:sys and the permissions are 755. I assume I am
    running as bootes.

    vh# who
    bootes
    none

    Since bootes is not allowed to assume the uid of sys and the
    service.auth directory is owned by sys, how is cpurc supposed
    to be able to copy il566 and tcp567 into it?

    Continuing on...

    vh# auth/changeuser bootes
    Password: adifferentpassword
    Confirm password: adifferentpassword
    assign Inferno/POP secret? (y/n) n
    Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never)[return = never]: hit enter
    Post id: hit enter
    User's full name: bootes on vh
    Department #: hit enter
    User's email address: hit enter
    Sponsor's email address: hit enter
    changeuser: can't open /adm/keys.who
    vh#

    OK. It looks like things aren't working too well. Time to ask
    for guidance again.

    Once again, thanks for any assistance.

    Kim

  2. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    On 5/9/07, Kim Shrier wrote:
    > I am having a few problems getting this going. I have a PC that I
    > have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May
    > 5th. Since I want to connect to it from my Mac using drawterm, I
    > assume that I need to boot the Plan 9 box as a cpu/auth/file server.

    not necessarly, you can drawterm to your terminal
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...your_terminal/

    > Following the instructions on
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/
    > Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server/index.html
    > is not working too well for me.

    the wiki is fine, you missed something, people always miss some
    step.

    > Here are the steps I have gone through. I have booted the system
    > and logged in as kim. When i created user kim, I added myself to
    > the sys group.
    >
    > term% cd /rc/bin
    > term% ed cpurc
    >
    > The contents on cpurc don't seem to aggree 100% with the instructions,
    > but I think I figured out what needed to be done.
    >
    > term% con /srv/fscons
    > prompt: uname bootes bootes
    > prompt: fsys main
    > main: create /active/cron/bootes bootes bootes d775
    > main: create /active/sys/log/cron bootes bootes a664
    > main: ctl-\>>> q

    bootes should be in sys not kim... see below

    > The instructions don't say anything about ctl-\ and q but I assume
    > that that is the correct thing to type.
    >
    > term% auth/keyfs
    > bad nvram key
    > bad authentication id
    > bad authentication domain
    > can't read /dev/key, please enter machine key
    > Password: alongpassword
    > Confirm password: alongpassword
    >
    > term% cd /lib/ndb
    > term% ed auth
    >
    > I add the lines:
    > hostid=bootes
    > uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*
    >
    > At this point, the instructions tell you to copy 9pccpuf to /n/fat
    > but there is no 9pccpuf. I read the instructions on building a
    > kernel. I reboot the system and log in as user sys.
    >
    > % cd /sys/src/9/pc
    > % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
    > /tmp/mkarg000095: '/tmp/mkarg000095' permission denied
    >
    > We can't create the tmp file because /tmp is owned by sys:sys and
    > the permissions are 555. What is the point of having a tmp
    > directory that nobody can write to?
    >
    > % chmod 755 /tmp

    you didn't run /sys/lib/newuser like the adding a new user wiki says,
    that script creates a standard env for the new user when he/she
    starts the system , like binding /usr/$user/tmp to /tmp, so /tmp
    is replaced by the user's tmp dir.

    > % mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
    >
    > Looks like everything worked. I reboot and log in as kim.
    >
    > term% 9fat:
    > term% cp /sys/src/9/pc/9pccpuf /n/9fat/
    > term% cd /n/9fat
    > term% ed plan9.ini
    > term% echo blahblahblah >/dev/sdC0/nvram
    >
    > I make the changes in the instructions including the startup menu
    > so I can choose the kernel to boot. I then reboot and choose the
    > 9pccpuf kernel.
    >
    > root is from (tcp, il, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]: hit enter
    > bad nvram key
    > bad authentication id
    > bad authentication domain
    > authid: bootes
    > authdom: tinker.com
    > secstore key: someotherlongpassword
    > password: adifferentpassword
    > time...
    > venti...fossil(#S/sdC0/fossil)...version...time...
    > mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/il566: '/rc/bin/
    > service.auth/il566' permission denied
    > mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567: '/rc/bin/
    > service.auth/tcp567' permission denied
    > mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/il566: '/rc/bin/service/il566'
    > does not exist
    > mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/tcp567: '/rc/bin/service/tcp567'
    > does not exist

    that's why there is a if() in the standard cpurc, so you don't get
    that error

    > init: starting /bin/rc
    > vh#
    >
    > I look at the permissions for /rc/bin/service.auth. It is also
    > owned by sys:sys and the permissions are 755. I assume I am
    > running as bootes.
    >
    > vh# who
    > bootes
    > none
    >
    > Since bootes is not allowed to assume the uid of sys and the
    > service.auth directory is owned by sys, how is cpurc supposed
    > to be able to copy il566 and tcp567 into it?

    bootes should be in sys, not kim

    > Continuing on...
    >
    > vh# auth/changeuser bootes
    > Password: adifferentpassword
    > Confirm password: adifferentpassword
    > assign Inferno/POP secret? (y/n) n
    > Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never)[return = never]: hit enter
    > Post id: hit enter
    > User's full name: bootes on vh
    > Department #: hit enter
    > User's email address: hit enter
    > Sponsor's email address: hit enter
    > changeuser: can't open /adm/keys.who
    > vh#

    you don't have to worry about that error

    > OK. It looks like things aren't working too well. Time to ask
    > for guidance again.
    >
    > Once again, thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Kim

    you also need to edit your /lib/ndb/local with something like

    ipnet=whatever ip=someip ipmask=someipmask
    sys=bootesmachine ether=bootesmachineeaddr
    auth=bootesmachine

    Federico G. Benavento

  3. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    Hello Kim,

    here is my step-by-step installation guide based on
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/V...n9/index.html:

    # file/auth/cpu server

    # installation

    # login as glenda

    # if you run VMware...
    echo -n 'hwaccel off' > '#v/vgactl'

    sam /lib/ndb/local
    ipnet=home ip=192.168.0.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
    fs=server1
    auth=server1
    authdom=localdomain

    ip=192.168.0.10 sys=server1
    dom=server1.localdomain

    sam /lib/ndb/auth
    hostid=bootes
    uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*

    sam /rc/bin/cpurc
    # place before ndb/cs...
    ip/ipconfig -g 192.168.0.1 ether /net/ether0 192.168.0.10
    255.255.255.0
    #uncomment lines for auth server at the end of cpurc file

    cd /sys/src/9/pc
    mk 'CONF=pccpuf'
    9fat:
    cp 9pccpuf /n/9fat
    sam /n/9fat/plan9.ini
    bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf

    con /srv/fscons
    uname bootes bootes
    uname adm +bootes
    uname sys +bootes

    # lets fs listen for terminal connections... (not necessary for
    drawterm)
    fossil/conf /dev/sdC0/fossil > flproto
    sam flproto
    listen tcp!*!564
    fossil/conf -w /dev/sdC0/fossil flproto
    rm flproto

    fshalt
    # RESET

    authid: bootes
    authdom: localdomain
    secstore key:
    password:

    /sys/lib/newuser

    auth/changeuser bootes

    # add user

    con /srv/fscons
    uname user1 user1 =user1

    auth/changeuser user1

    # login as user1

    /sys/lib/newuser

    # VMware

    sam ~/lib/profile
    echo -n 'hwaccel off' > '#v/vgactl'

    I hope it will help you.
    Antonin

    Kim Shrier napsal:
> [...]
    > running as bootes.
    >
    > vh# who
    > bootes
    > none
    >
    > Since bootes is not allowed to assume the uid of sys and the
    > service.auth directory is owned by sys, how is cpurc supposed
    > to be able to copy il566 and tcp567 into it?
    >
    > Continuing on...
    >
    > vh# auth/changeuser bootes
    > Password: adifferentpassword
    > Confirm password: adifferentpassword
    > assign Inferno/POP secret? (y/n) n
    > Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never)[return = never]: hit enter
    > Post id: hit enter
    > User's full name: bootes on vh
    > Department #: hit enter
    > User's email address: hit enter
    > Sponsor's email address: hit enter
    > changeuser: can't open /adm/keys.who
    > vh#
    >
    > OK. It looks like things aren't working too well. Time to ask

  4. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    On May 8, 2007, at 10:54 PM, Federico Benavento wrote:

    > not necessarly, you can drawterm to your terminal
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...your_terminal/

    Thanks. I'll look into that.

    > the wiki is fine, you missed something, people always miss some
    > step.

    I.m sure that is the case.

    > bootes should be in sys not kim... see below

    Is it normal to set up a user that is a member of sys, in this
    case kim, so that that user can do system maintenance?

    Or, should I log in as sys when I need to do maintenance?

    Should I assign passwords to sys and adm? Normally I would
    think so.

    > you didn't run /sys/lib/newuser like the adding a new user wiki says,
    > that script creates a standard env for the new user when he/she
    > starts the system , like binding /usr/$user/tmp to /tmp, so /tmp
    > is replaced by the user's tmp dir.

    Yes, I definitely forgot that.

    >> mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/il566: '/rc/bin/
    >> service.auth/il566' permission denied
    >> mv: can't create /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567: '/rc/bin/
    >> service.auth/tcp567' permission denied
    >> mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/il566: '/rc/bin/service/il566'
    >> does not exist
    >> mv: can't stat /rc/bin/service/tcp567: '/rc/bin/service/tcp567'
    >> does not exist
    >>

    > that's why there is a if() in the standard cpurc, so you don't get
    > that error

    I do have the following lines in cpurc.

    if(! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/il566){
    mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.il566 /rc/bin/service.auth/il566
    mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
    mv /rc/bin/service/il566 /rc/bin/service/_il566
    mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/_tcp567
    }

    > bootes should be in sys, not kim

    OK. I don't think the instructions mention that.

    > you also need to edit your /lib/ndb/local with something like
    >
    > ipnet=whatever ip=someip ipmask=someipmask
    > sys=bootesmachine ether=bootesmachineeaddr
    > auth=bootesmachine

    I had already done that.

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

    Thanks,
    Kim

  5. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    On May 9, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Antonin wrote:

    > Hello Kim,
    >
    > here is my step-by-step installation guide based on
    > http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/V...und_for_plan9/
    > index.html:

    .... snip ...

    Thank you. That is very instructive.

    Kim

  6. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    >> bootes should be in sys not kim... see below
    >>

    > Is it normal to set up a user that is a member of sys, in this
    > case kim, so that that user can do system maintenance?

    both kim and bootes can be members of sys. that way kim can do things
    like replica/pull without having to bypass the fs auth checking.

  7. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    > Is it normal to set up a user that is a member of sys, in this
    > case kim, so that that user can do system maintenance?

    yes, the wiki suppose that bootes is that special *user",
    I have a cpu/auth/fs server where "fgb" is "bootes".

    > Or, should I log in as sys when I need to do maintenance?
    >
    > Should I assign passwords to sys and adm? Normally I would
    > think so.

    no, you should login as the user you want to be the hostowner,
    typically bootes.

    ah, just in case, a typical error that people usually get is something
    like "server lies" because some pass don't agree.
    that's due to a mistmatch in the passwd you typed when you rebooted
    after you echoed jklds > /dev/sdC0/nvram

    good luck and welcome to Plan 9

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  8. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    Kim Shrier wrote:
    > I am having a few problems getting this going. I have a PC that I
    > have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May
    > 5th. Since I want to connect to it from my Mac using drawterm, I
    > assume that I need to boot the Plan 9 box as a cpu/auth/file server.
    >
    > Following the instructions on
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ver/index.html
    >
    > is not working too well for me.

    I've had the most luck with this document:

    http://www.magma.com.ni/moin/Plan9Tutorial

    In fact, I had no luck with the wiki instructions, and only got a
    successful setup after reading this. Since then, I've had no troubles.

    -Claudio

  9. Re: [9fans] Problems setting up a cpu/auth/file server

    On 5/9/07, Claudio Leite wrote:
    > Kim Shrier wrote:
    > > I am having a few problems getting this going. I have a PC that I
    > > have just installed Plan 9 on using a CD image I downloaded on May
    > > 5th. Since I want to connect to it from my Mac using drawterm, I
    > > assume that I need to boot the Plan 9 box as a cpu/auth/file server.
    > >
    > > Following the instructions on
    > > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ver/index.html
    > >
    > > is not working too well for me.
    > >

    > I've had the most luck with this document:
    >
    > http://www.magma.com.ni/moin/Plan9Tutorial
    >
    > In fact, I had no luck with the wiki instructions, and only got a
    > successful setup after reading this. Since then, I've had no troubles.

    Hmm, I've not had too many problems with the wiki. I do find that I
    need to reference the wiki + the manual, but sometimes that's good, as
    I think a howto that does "too much" hand holding can be bad.

+ Reply to Thread