[9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download - Plan9 ; Hi, I seem to have an error booting from the latest plan9.iso downloaded from the Bell Lab's site. It will boot OK into the installer, but when booting after installing to the hard drive, or when booting plan9 from the ...

  1. [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    Hi, I seem to have an error booting from the latest plan9.iso
    downloaded from the Bell Lab's site. It will boot OK into the
    installer, but when booting after installing to the hard drive, or
    when booting plan9 from the cdrom directly, it gives me an error:

    "
    init: starting /bin/rc
    bind: #k: unknown device in # filename
    rc: null list in concatenation
    init: rc exit status: rc 8: error
    "

    and then dumps me to a terminal without attempting to load rio.
    Is this a known issue? is there a workaround?

  2. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    hola,

    some recent changes broke the start up

    > init: starting /bin/rc
    > bind: #k: unknown device in # filename

    diskparts tries to bind #k, but there is no k device

    > rc: null list in concatenation
    > init: rc exit status: rc 8: error

    sysname is not set, hence you thet error

    > and then dumps me to a terminal without attempting to load rio.
    > Is this a known issue? is there a workaround?

    echo mymachine > /dev/sysname
    /rc/bin/termrc

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  3. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    Ahh thanks, worked like a charm.

    Wes

    On 5/7/07, Federico Benavento wrote:
    > hola,
    >
    > some recent changes broke the start up
    >
    > > init: starting /bin/rc
    > > bind: #k: unknown device in # filename

    > diskparts tries to bind #k, but there is no k device
    >
    > > rc: null list in concatenation
    > > init: rc exit status: rc 8: error

    > sysname is not set, hence you thet error
    >

    > > and then dumps me to a terminal without attempting to load rio.
    > > Is this a known issue? is there a workaround?
    > >

    > echo mymachine > /dev/sysname
    > /rc/bin/termrc
    >

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

  4. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    hmm, echoing machinename to /dev/sysname doesn't seem to be persistent
    across reboots and adding it to termrc also doesn't seem to take.
    Will I have to do this every bootup?

    On 5/7/07, Wes wrote:
    > Ahh thanks, worked like a charm.
    >
    > Wes
    >
    > On 5/7/07, Federico Benavento wrote:
    > > hola,
    > >
    > > some recent changes broke the start up
    > >
    > > > init: starting /bin/rc
    > > > bind: #k: unknown device in # filename

    > > diskparts tries to bind #k, but there is no k device
    > >
    > > > rc: null list in concatenation
    > > > init: rc exit status: rc 8: error

    > > sysname is not set, hence you thet error
    > >

    > > > and then dumps me to a terminal without attempting to load rio.
    > > > Is this a known issue? is there a workaround?
    > > >

    > > echo mymachine > /dev/sysname
    > > /rc/bin/termrc
    > >

    > > --
    > > Federico G. Benavento

  5. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    * Wes (anomaly256@gmail.com) wrote:
    > hmm, echoing machinename to /dev/sysname doesn't seem to be persistent
    > across reboots and adding it to termrc also doesn't seem to take.
    > Will I have to do this every bootup?

    The ``right'' solution would be to specify your network configuration in
    /lib/ndb/local. If you have only a single plan9 machine you can get away
    with ``echo hostname > /dev/sysname'' in termrc (or, rather, termrc.local).

    Martin

  6. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    I thought we were talking about booting the live CD...
    after the installation add an entry to /lib/ndb/local

    sys=mymachine ether=macaddres

    you can find nic's macaddres by catting /net/ether0/addr
    ah, and it has to be in lower case

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  7. Re: [9fans] Error booting from latest plan9.iso download

    I did add it to termrc, but when I rebooted I forgot to do an fshalt
    first so it didn't take. All good now, thanks. I'll set it up the
    proper way now.

    Wes

    On 5/7/07, Federico Benavento wrote:
    > I thought we were talking about booting the live CD...
    > after the installation add an entry to /lib/ndb/local
    >
    > sys=mymachine ether=macaddres
    >
    > you can find nic's macaddres by catting /net/ether0/addr
    > ah, and it has to be in lower case
    >
    > On 5/7/07, Martin Neubauer wrote:
    > > * Wes (anomaly256@gmail.com) wrote:
    > > > hmm, echoing machinename to /dev/sysname doesn't seem to be persistent
    > > > across reboots and adding it to termrc also doesn't seem to take.
    > > > Will I have to do this every bootup?

    > > The ``right'' solution would be to specify your network configuration in
    > > /lib/ndb/local. If you have only a single plan9 machine you can get away
    > > with ``echo hostname > /dev/sysname'' in termrc (or, rather, termrc.local).
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

  8. [9fans] Sam: m and "changes not in sequence"

    One of my favourite functions of ed is to arrange the lines of a file by regex:

    g/foobar/m0

    (The usefulness of this becomes clear when you're working on horrendus spreadsheets, for example.)

    In Sam, I tried variations of:

    x g/foobar/m0

    but consistently received "changes not in sequence" errors.

    I don't understand. As I read Mr. Pike's paper, Sam works much as ed in these loops; one pass over the file to mark the changes to be made, another to make the changes.

    Thanks in advance!

  9. Re: [9fans] Sam: m and "changes not in sequence"

    > In Sam, I tried variations of:
    >
    > x g/foobar/m0
    >
    > but consistently received "changes not in sequence" errors.
    >
    > I don't understand. As I read Mr. Pike's paper, Sam works much as ed in these
    > loops; one pass over the file to mark the changes to be made, another to make
    > the changes.

    That's correct, as I understand it, but the changes have to proceed in
    sequence from the beginning of the file to the end -- no jumping
    around. When you run x g/foobar/m0 you get a set of changes like
    0>. Those changes jump back and forth
    in the file, and sam won't allow it.

    The only way I know to work around it is to use a temporary file. Say
    you're working on a file named foo and you have an empty file open
    named tmp, then you can do this:

    x g/foobar/m"tmp
    X/tmp/,m"foo"0

    Though I would probably just use the first command and work with the
    lines in the temporary file.

    It would be nice if sam converted 'x g/foobar/m0' to lines at 0> else>, etc. I don't know how hard that would be, though.

    Micah

  10. Re: [9fans] Sam: m and "changes not in sequence"

    > In Sam, I tried variations of:
    >
    > x g/foobar/m0
    >
    > but consistently received "changes not in sequence" errors.

    try

    ,|tail -r

+ Reply to Thread