[9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard) - Plan9 ; I am trying to get the graphical user interface part of Plan9 working, but I am having some trouble with it. I have xen installed on my linux kernel but I am having problems running rio, sam and acme. It ...

  1. [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)

    I am trying to get the graphical user interface part of Plan9 working,
    but I am having some trouble with it.

    I have xen installed on my linux kernel but I am having problems
    running rio, sam and acme. It boots fine into Plan9 console but then
    when I try to run the applications above I get an error about
    /dev/draw.

    Another issue I am encountering is the keyboard input. I am having
    trouble getting my backspace working; every time I press backspace it
    outputs some "raw" data instead of the backspace. So every time that I
    make a mistake in the typing I am forced to retype the command from
    start.

    I apologize if I sound too novice, but I would really like to get it
    working as I am interested in Plan9 approaches as an operating system.

    Thank you.

    -eric

  2. Re: [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)

    [181 files]
    [181 files]
    this sounds like the ancient ^h vs. ^? problem. what happens
    when you type ctl+h?

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)

    > this sounds like the ancient ^h vs. ^? problem. what happens
    > when you type ctl+h?

    Thank you for your quick reply.

    When I press ctrl+h the caret goes back one space but the character is
    not deleted.

    -eric

  4. Re: [9fans] Problems with xen+plan9 (gui and keyboard)

    > I have xen installed on my linux kernel but I am having problems
    > running rio, sam and acme. It boots fine into Plan9 console but then
    > when I try to run the applications above I get an error about
    > /dev/draw.

    Plan 9 on xen doesn't have a graphics device, because xen reserves
    the screen for the controlling "dom0" operating system. To run
    Plan 9 gui applications, you use the Plan 9 vm as a server, and
    connect to it from the linux desktop using drawterm or vnc.

+ Reply to Thread