Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc - Plan9 ; > Oh, yeah? For the Intel x86 series? Across all its instruction sets, > emulation modes and addressing modes? there's a realmode assembler in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/realmode.tbz. it does all addressing modes supported by x86 in 16bit mode. 8a already does all ...

  1. Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc

    > Oh, yeah? For the Intel x86 series? Across all its instruction sets,
    > emulation modes and addressing modes?

    there's a realmode assembler in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/realmode.tbz.
    it does all addressing modes supported by x86 in 16bit mode.
    8a already does all the 32bit stuff one would need.

    > How long do you think it will
    > take you? And what language would you write in? On what platform?

    less than 1 week. c. plan 9. (i didn't write it.)

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc

    > there's a realmode assembler in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/realmode.tbz.
    > it does all addressing modes supported by x86 in 16bit mode.
    > 8a already does all the 32bit stuff one would need.

    I'd say that proves my point, in that a single assembler for both
    families seems hard to put together. Or should I look harder?

    ++L

  3. Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc

    lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
    >> there's a realmode assembler in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/realmode.tbz.
    >> it does all addressing modes supported by x86 in 16bit mode.
    >> 8a already does all the 32bit stuff one would need.

    > I'd say that proves my point, in that a single assembler for both
    > families seems hard to put together. Or should I look harder?
    >
    > ++L

    Probably.

    It has been a long while, but IIRC the MC 68008 / 16 / 32 path (width, not part
    numbers), or the later IBM/Motorola Power Series architecture were places where
    a degree of 'seamlessness' and auto-adaptation was sought across bit-width.

    I don't recall how successful the efforts were, 'coz the impending cost of
    adding yet-another-fee-not-free assembler drove me to Ray Duncan's LMI forth
    around the time the 68000 and 6809 were new, and forth was a lot happier than
    asm-generated output in small memory. Reasonably self-documenting, too if you
    had a modicum of discipline in your style. And only if.

    Bill

  4. Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc

    Yes! No! Yes! No!
    Yes!
    No!

    If you don't play,
    you don't have to try to win.
    (There is no award, after all.)

    For goodness' sake,
    please end this thread.
    --
    Benn Newman

  5. Re: [9fans] speaking of kenc

    They have not reached (yet) the 100+ message count, don't worry.

    On 5/6/07, Benn Newman wrote:
    > Yes! No! Yes! No!
    > Yes!
    > No!