[9fans] keyfs warnings - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] keyfs warnings - Plan9 ; Dear list, I have done some more reading through documentations after my last post to this list about the strange loss if user login data on my auth server. I am now able to pin down the problem to keyfs. ...

  1. [9fans] keyfs warnings

    Dear list,

    I have done some more reading through documentations after my last
    post to this list about the strange loss if user login data on my
    auth server.

    I am now able to pin down the problem to keyfs. I have started over
    by

    - overwriting my nvram with bla
    - truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
    - rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
    - killing keyfs
    - starting auth/keyfs on the server console
    - creating new keys with auth/changeuser for bootes and another user
    - rebooting

    After that I am able to log in as bootes but not the other user (the
    user is present on the fossil filesystem)

    When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
    following warnings:
    % auth/keyfs
    keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    4 keys read

    1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
    2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
    3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage

    Any hints?

    Yours,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  2. Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings

    > - overwriting my nvram with bla

    i think what you have should work, but i think you'd rather zero
    out the whole file:

    dd -if /dev/zero -of /n/9fat/plan9.nvr -count 1

    > - truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
    > - rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
    > - killing keyfs
    > - starting auth/keyfs on the server console

    i don't understand this step. if keyfs is running on the console
    of your auth server, restarting it shouldn't make any difference.

    (you should always be dealing with keyfs and changeuser from the
    console of the auth server.)

    > - creating new keys with auth/changeuser for bootes and another user
    > - rebooting
    >
    > After that I am able to log in as bootes but not the other user (the
    > user is present on the fossil filesystem)

    where are you "logging in" from. i assume, since you mentioned this
    is a combined fs/cpu/auth server, that you are drawterming in from
    another machine?

    > When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
    > following warnings:
    > % auth/keyfs
    > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > 4 keys read
    >
    > 1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
    > 2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
    > 3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage

    what is in /mnt/keys on the console after you have just booted the machine?

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings

    * erik quanstrom [070501 15:21]:
    > > - truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
    > > - rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
    > > - killing keyfs
    > > - starting auth/keyfs on the server console

    > i don't understand this step. if keyfs is running on the console
    > of your auth server, restarting it shouldn't make any difference.
    >
    > (you should always be dealing with keyfs and changeuser from the
    > console of the auth server.)

    The reason for this is that otherwise I don't see anything on
    /mnt/keys, i.e. lc /mnt/keys shows nothing, even after a
    auth/changeuser.

    > where are you "logging in" from. i assume, since you mentioned this
    > is a combined fs/cpu/auth server, that you are drawterming in from
    > another machine?

    Yes I am using drawterm

    > > When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
    > > following warnings:
    > > % auth/keyfs
    > > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
    > > 4 keys read
    > >
    > > 1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
    > > 2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
    > > 3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage

    > what is in /mnt/keys on the console after you have just booted the machine?

    As I said above it is emtpy.

    Thanks,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  4. Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings

    > truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys

    if that's really what you write, it will put a newline in /adm/keys, not truncate it

  5. Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings

    * C H Forsyth [070501 17:27]:
    > > truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys

    > if that's really what you write, it will put a newline in /adm/keys, not truncate it

    Thanks that has indeed been the problem!

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

+ Reply to Thread