Re: [9fans] Re: new termrc - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Re: new termrc - Plan9 ; > But that is ugly, as you now need to track the ethernet address in > /lib/ndb/local and possibly in the DHCP configuration, when all the > pertinent details can be obtained from the DHCP server. Are there any > ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Re: new termrc

    > But that is ugly, as you now need to track the ethernet address in
    > /lib/ndb/local and possibly in the DHCP configuration, when all the
    > pertinent details can be obtained from the DHCP server. Are there any
    > philosophical reasons that the DHCP data, retrieved using ip/ipconfig,
    > say, cannot at least supplement whatever may have been already set up
    > by termrc (or cpurc)? If there isn't I'll gladly look into it, DHCP
    > isn't entirely alien to me.

    The pertinent details cannot be obtained
    from a non-Plan 9 DHCP server.
    If you are using a Plan 9 DHCP server
    then you are correct -- all the details
    do get used from DHCP and no extra work
    is necessary. But it sounds like his DHCP
    server is a random NAT box.

    All you need to put in /lib/ndb/local in that
    case is

    sys=yourname ether=010203040506

    and the DHCP info will be used (via /net/ndb,
    which ipconfig fills in) for the rest.

    Truth be told, when I set up a standalone
    system I don't even bother doing this. I just do

    sysname=foo
    echo -n foo >/dev/sysname

    in cpurc before starting cs. It doesn't really
    matter one way or the other.

    Russ

  2. Re: new termrc

    On May 1, 1:43 am, r...@swtch.com (Russ Cox) wrote: