[9fans] new termrc - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] new termrc - Plan9 ; I've just pushed out a new (and I hope stable) /rc/bin/termrc and /cfg/example/termrc. Machine-specific configuration should go into /cfg/$sysname/termrc. If you don't use DHCP (i.e., you statically configure terminal IP addresses), this affects you. You'll probably want to look at ...

  1. [9fans] new termrc

    I've just pushed out a new (and I hope stable) /rc/bin/termrc
    and /cfg/example/termrc. Machine-specific configuration should
    go into /cfg/$sysname/termrc. If you don't use DHCP (i.e., you
    statically configure terminal IP addresses), this affects you.
    You'll probably want to look at the diffs in any case.

  2. Re: new termrc

    On Apr 27, 9:16 am, g...@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
    > I've just pushed out a new (and I hope stable) /rc/bin/termrc
    > and /cfg/example/termrc. Machine-specific configuration should
    > go into /cfg/$sysname/termrc. If you don't use DHCP (i.e., you
    > statically configure terminal IP addresses), this affects you.
    > You'll probably want to look at the diffs in any case.

    I need an advice. I have a standalone plan9 computer, and if I use
    the /rc/bin/termrc, then my $sysname is blank. It's, obviously,
    because I use DHCP to set my ip address and other parameters, and I
    use those settings as part of my network database. But at the time
    when /rc/bin/termrc sets $sysname, network is not started yet and all
    those parameters aren't available yet.

    My /lib/ndb/local includes line:

    file=/lib/ndb/common

    and I use DHCP to get my address and /lib/ndb/common contains:

    ip=192.168.21.14 ipmask=255.255.255.128 ipgw=192.168.21.1
    sys=plan9term
    dom=plan9term.linux.sge.local sge.local
    dns=192.168.21.1

    If I move

    sysname=`{cat /dev/sysname}

    line down after section where network is set, $sysname gets correct
    value all right.

    What am I doing wrong? Or is my setup "non-standard" enough and
    I'can't use this general /rc/bin/termrc?

    Thank you.

    Alex

  3. Re: [9fans] Re: new termrc

    > I need an advice. I have a standalone plan9 computer, and if I use
    > the /rc/bin/termrc, then my $sysname is blank. It's, obviously,
    > because I use DHCP to set my ip address and other parameters, and I
    > use those settings as part of my network database. But at the time
    > when /rc/bin/termrc sets $sysname, network is not started yet and all
    > those parameters aren't available yet.

    ndb/cs sets $sysname when it starts up by
    looking for an entry in the ndb with the
    right ethernet address (cat /net/ether0/addr).
    if you add ether=010203040506 (with your
    ethernet address) to the entry for your system
    then $sysname should get set.

    russ

  4. Re: new termrc

    On May 1, 1:10 am, r...@swtch.com (Russ Cox) wrote:

    > if you add ether=010203040506 (with your
    > ethernet address) to the entry for your system
    > then $sysname should get set.

    I have and it does, thank you russ. I just thought, the information is
    already inside my DHCP server (non-plan9) and should be used by my
    terminal. But that's good enough anyway.

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread