Re: [9fans] dns suddenly not working - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] dns suddenly not working - Plan9 ; On 4/25/07, erik quanstrom wrote: > you may still have _ipconfig around. this may get you far enough > to get the new ipconfig. I reverted both ip/ipconfig and ndb/dns; now I get ndb/dns: can't read my ip address at ...

  1. Re: [9fans] dns suddenly not working

    On 4/25/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > you may still have _ipconfig around. this may get you far enough
    > to get the new ipconfig.

    I reverted both ip/ipconfig and ndb/dns; now I get
    ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
    at bootup, and ndb/dnsquery complains
    can't open /srv/dns: '/srv/dns' file does not exist
    I suppose that's progress, of a sort.

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] dns suddenly not working

    Do you have your machine's ip and ether addresses in ndb? E.g.,

    ip=199.98.17.238 sys=laptop dom=laptop.cooper.edu
    ether=00d037abcdef
    bootf=/386/9pcf

    Lack of this is the usual reason that dns can't figure out its IP
    address.

  3. Re: [9fans] dns suddenly not working

    not sure I really understand the problem but it looks as though
    you didn't get a dns= record in /net/ndb (with the new ipconfig).
    If this is all it is then you should be able to just do:

    echo ' dns=1.2.3.4' >> /net/ndb

    where 1.2.3.4 is your DNS server's address.
    I am pretty sure this will work, though I haven't
    tried it since the days I used ppp and dialup...

    you will also need to get dns to reread its config:

    echo refresh > /net/dns

    You could also check that ip/cs is able to
    find a dns server for your machine:

    ndb/ipquery sys $sysname dns

    and try repeating this using

    ndb/ipquery ip 1.2.3.4 dns