[9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working - Plan9 ; "But I didn't change anything!" I've checked /rc/bin/termrc against my local history and the version up on sources (via the web interface), and cannot find any significant differences -- in fact, I've reverted to a previous version and the problem ...

  1. [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    "But I didn't change anything!"

    I've checked /rc/bin/termrc against my local history and the version
    up on sources (via the web interface), and cannot find any significant
    differences -- in fact, I've reverted to a previous version and the
    problem remained.

    Both USB and internet connectivity have suddenly stopped working on my
    laptop. When I run usbstart, I get
    usb/usbmouse: /dev/usb/1/ep0data: '/dev/usb/1/ep0data' does not exist

    More critically, no matter what I do, I get
    % ip/ping google.com
    ip/ping: couldn't dial icmp!google.com!1: cs: temporary failure:
    dns: dns failure
    To make this problem more fun to diagnose, I can't copy files off my
    laptop *except* via the network -- which used to work!

    Does this problem sound familiar to someone?

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    was /rc/bin/termrc the only file you changed?

    for the usb, i would start by checking that '#U' exists in the kernel and that
    usbstart gets executed by termrc.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    On 4/25/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > was /rc/bin/termrc the only file you changed?

    ~/lib/profile was untouched, termrc.local is from from my last pull
    off of sources, and /lib/local/ndb hasn't changed in months. Is there
    any other file I might have changed that would break things this way?

    > for the usb, i would start by checking that '#U' exists in the kernel and that
    > usbstart gets executed by termrc.

    Yes and yes; /dev/usb1/1/ep1data exists, but for some reason usbmouse
    wants .../ep0data. I've tried changing which USB port the mouse is
    plugged in to (shouldn't matter, right) and I've gotten an error
    either way, just don't recall if it's the same error.

    --Joel

  4. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    On 4/25/07, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
    > More critically, no matter what I do, I get
    > % ip/ping google.com
    > ip/ping: couldn't dial icmp!google.com!1: cs: temporary failure:
    > dns: dns failure

    Is there any chace at all that this is related to some of the recent
    chages in ndb?

    Is there something I can run to get helpful diagnostic information?

    --Joel

  5. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    have you determined if this is a networking problem or a dns problem?
    is dns running?

    - erik
    On Wed Apr 25 18:05:20 EDT 2007, joelcsalomon@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 4/25/07, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
    > > More critically, no matter what I do, I get
    > > % ip/ping google.com
    > > ip/ping: couldn't dial icmp!google.com!1: cs: temporary failure:
    > > dns: dns failure

    > Is there any chace at all that this is related to some of the recent
    > chages in ndb?
    >
    > Is there something I can run to get helpful diagnostic information?
    >
    > --Joel

  6. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    On 4/25/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > have you determined if this is a networking problem or a dns problem?

    Whatever the problem is, networking or dns, it's restricted to my
    laptop and very recent. I guess my question ought to be: How can I
    determine what the problem actually is?

    > is dns running?

    I think so:
    % term ps | grep dns
    chesky 46 0:00 0:00 364K Pread dns

    --Joel

  7. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    > ip/ping: couldn't dial icmp!google.com!1: cs: temporary failure:
    > dns: dns failure

    sounds very much like a dns problem to me.

    check you have a dns server configured?
    cat /net/ndb

    Is dns running?
    ps | grep dns

    Try a dns query:
    ndb/dnsquery
    > www.google.com

    # note the '>' here is the prompt that dnsquery prints

    Check that dns is working outside your box:
    ndb/dnsdebug
    > www.google.com

    # note the '>' here is the prompt that dnsdebug prints

    Hopefully this should get you a bit further.

    -Steve

  8. Re: [9fans] usb and dns suddenly not working

    Is there anything interesting in /sys/log/dns?
    What does this print?

    ndb/dnsdebug . ns

    Do you have /srv/dns and /net/dns files?

  9. Re: usb and dns suddenly not working

    hello

    i'm getting the same problem with the usb mouse.

    It is a fresh install from May 12 cdrom, i will pull and see if
    anything has changed.

    Also, my sata (intel 82801GB 8086/27c0) isn't recognized from 9load
    (it "hangs" but prints ctrl-alt-del message) but 9pxeload works (or
    used to work). I'll test this more.

    gabi

  10. Re: [9fans] Re: usb and dns suddenly not working

    > Also, my sata (intel 82801GB 8086/27c0) isn't recognized from 9load
    > (it "hangs" but prints ctrl-alt-del message) but 9pxeload works (or
    > used to work). I'll test this more.

    what exactly does it print?

    what sata/pata devices do you have connected? from the vid,
    it appears that you have the 82801gb in combined mode where
    sata drives emulate legacy drives. the first two should be found
    and available through legacy i/o space. evidently this is causing
    some trouble.

    one thing you could try is using bios to enable "enhanced sata mode"
    but nothing else. this should give you the vid 27c4. perhaps 9load
    would be happy with that configuration. there appears to be explicit
    support.

    this is a chipset that is supported by the sd63xxesb driver. if you can
    get past 9load, this driver might make things easier for you. (you'll
    need to compile your own kernel.) i've had trouble with combined
    mode in my terminal.

    - erik

  11. Re: [9fans] Re: usb and dns suddenly not working

    hello

    i tryed both combined mode and enhaced one, but 9load still hangs,
    with enhaced mode 9pxeload used to work, i submited the ids as a patch
    time ago, but seems 9load doesn't like them.

    i will test again on the weekend and see if i can obtain more debug.

    i have the sd63xxesb driver compiled in (9load and kernel), i will
    compile again with debug options and will post the results.

    thanks

    gabi

    On 5/21/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > Also, my sata (intel 82801GB 8086/27c0) isn't recognized from 9load
    > > (it "hangs" but prints ctrl-alt-del message) but 9pxeload works (or
    > > used to work). I'll test this more.

    > what exactly does it print?
    >
    > what sata/pata devices do you have connected? from the vid,
    > it appears that you have the 82801gb in combined mode where
    > sata drives emulate legacy drives. the first two should be found
    > and available through legacy i/o space. evidently this is causing
    > some trouble.
    >
    > one thing you could try is using bios to enable "enhanced sata mode"
    > but nothing else. this should give you the vid 27c4. perhaps 9load
    > would be happy with that configuration. there appears to be explicit
    > support.
    >
    > this is a chipset that is supported by the sd63xxesb driver. if you can
    > get past 9load, this driver might make things easier for you. (you'll
    > need to compile your own kernel.) i've had trouble with combined
    > mode in my terminal.
    >
    > - erik

  12. Re: [9fans] Re: usb and dns suddenly not working

    great.

    i'm not sure what options your bios will present you with. i would
    recommend enabling pata, enabling sata enhanced mode but not
    enabling the bios support for ahci. you won't need that with os
    support.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread