[9fans] jukebox - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] jukebox - Plan9 ; for research purposes I need to set up a plan 9-based jukebox at work. Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos, plan9, and so ...

  1. [9fans] jukebox

    for research purposes I need to set up a plan 9-based jukebox at work.

    Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
    fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
    plan9, and so on

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    We have a local /n/music partition. fossil+venti.
    Is this want you refer to?
    Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
    I use oplayer mostly.

    On 4/23/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > for research purposes I need to set up a plan 9-based jukebox at work.
    >
    > Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
    > fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
    > plan9, and so on
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ron

  3. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    On 4/23/07, Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:
    > We have a local /n/music partition. fossil+venti.
    > Is this want you refer to?

    how do you rip the CDs? What format (can we do ogg on P9? I forget)

    > Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
    > I use oplayer mostly.

    on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    > Anybody done this lately? I want to rip cds, store them in
    > fossil/venti, make them available over 9p for testing on linux, macos,
    > plan9, and so on

    fyi; this might be helpful for playback...

    you can play mp3's using http streaming through a browser with a flash
    plugin. it just needs the standard httpd on a cpu to access the fs.

    i use this technique to stream mp3's through rangboom using http. the
    javascript in the web interface makes the exported mp3 files available
    for streaming by embedding a flash player. the flash plugin uses http
    streaming (https) to playback files, which starts playing immediately.
    9p is used to export the mp3's from the user's computer to
    rangboom.com and http is used from there to the browser/flash plugin
    "consumer". the flash player could be made fancier to play from a
    playlist, etc. any flash experts among 9fans?

    playing mp3's through rangboom - includes encryption - works very
    well. serving content that resides on an attached fs should be excellent.

  5. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    On 4/23/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > how do you rip the CDs?

    cdfs(4) and cat(1)

    > What format (can we do ogg on P9? I forget)

    If you forget, why don't you check the contrib index? It was setup for a reason.

    > > Or do you mean running the jukebox sw?
    > > I use oplayer mostly.

    > on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

    I'm rather unclear as to what you are trying to do, but there is
    games/jukefs (see juke(7)), and p9p has its own juke-thingie I forgot
    the name of.

    Googe, lookman and the wiki are your friends.

    uriel

  6. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    On 4/23/07, Uriel wrote:

    > Googe, lookman and the wiki are your friends.

    yup, but in part, I'm looking for people's experience, which none of
    this resources has proven that useful for.

    Thanks

    ron

  7. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    > on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

    The filesystem shouldn't matter. You should just be able to pick a common
    format that the clients can deal with. E.g. I've exported my iTunes
    directory from the Mac to FreeBSD via NFS and then just pointed xmms at
    the directory tree. As long as xmms has the right codec, it'll work.

    Your problem isn't the FS, it's finding a generic enough directory/file
    layout that will work without too much pain across on your range of
    clients.

    --lyndon

    The longest UNIX error code is ENAMETOOLONG.

  8. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    On 4/23/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > on Plan B, right? I want to serve to all OSes, via 9p only of course ...

    > The filesystem shouldn't matter.

    there are reasons it does. IT's a long story.

    ron

  9. Re: [9fans] jukebox

    My ogg/vorbis port, along with all the other music tools I've ported,
    are in /n/sources/contrib/cnielsen

    --
    Christopher Nielsen
    "They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

+ Reply to Thread