[9fans] xen3 and pae problems - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] xen3 and pae problems - Plan9 ; Hi, I've been working on getting a plan9 guest running under xen3, with debian 4.0 as the host os/Dom0. I've been running into a problem of xen not wanting anything to do with the plan9 kernels - from what I've ...

  1. [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    Hi,
    I've been working on getting a plan9 guest running under xen3, with
    debian 4.0 as the host os/Dom0. I've been running into a problem of
    xen not wanting anything to do with the plan9 kernels - from what I've
    been able to find from the logs, is that the xen hypervisor is set up
    for PAE. Turns out PAE is setup by default with the linux-xen kernels
    in debian. There is a non-PAE hypervisor, but that would require me
    to build a new kernel. Joy.
    Are there any plans to have a set of install/cpu kernels available
    with that type of support, or should I start recompiling my linux
    kernel to remove PAE?

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  2. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    > Turns out PAE is setup by default with the linux-xen kernels
    > in debian. There is a non-PAE hypervisor, but that would require me
    > to build a new kernel.

    It appears there are separate packages 'xen3' and 'xen3-pae' for
    debian. So you shouldn't need to build a kernel - just use the
    appropriate package.

  3. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    I've tried using the non-pae package and setting grub to load the
    non-pae hypervisor. The hypervisor then complains that the Dom0 linux
    kernel has pae enabled.

    >From what I've googled, PAE was enabled by default in the linux kernel

    in Debian Etch back in February or so, breaking alot of stuff in what
    was testing. I've found a few similar messages on other lists
    relating to Fedora, RHEL5, and CentOS as having PAE enabled in the
    kernel, as well as instructions/notes on how to build a non-PAE linux
    kernel, so one can run the non-PAE xen hypervisor, thus being able to
    run non-PAE enabled/capable/etc guest Doms under xen.

    I've been considering just installing NetBSD to work around this :P

    I probably should search a little bit more...

    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  4. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    > I've tried using the non-pae package and setting grub to load the
    > non-pae hypervisor. The hypervisor then complains that the Dom0 linux
    > kernel has pae enabled.

    Doesn't the non-pae xen package include a dom0 kernel? If not, it
    looks like you will indeed have to build one.

  5. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    the xen packages only include the hypervisor 'kernel', not the
    associated linux kernel that xen ends up starting for Dom0...

    Out of curiosity, has anyone started work on PAE support for plan9?

    On 4/17/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
    > > I've tried using the non-pae package and setting grub to load the
    > > non-pae hypervisor. The hypervisor then complains that the Dom0 linux
    > > kernel has pae enabled.

    > Doesn't the non-pae xen package include a dom0 kernel? If not, it
    > looks like you will indeed have to build one.

    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  6. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    i've looked at it.

    what do you mean by PAE support? what would plan 9 need to
    do to play nicely with xen3?

    pae is already recognized by plan 9, but the default memory types are not
    fiddled and you can't map a region with a specific pae type.

    these changes are not too hard, but i haven't gotten to a place yet
    where i need to implement anything but it may be that setting up
    wc pci space will be necessiary for good performance with some
    pcie drivers.

    - erik

    On Tue Apr 17 09:54:10 EDT 2007, osborne6@gmail.com wrote:
    > the xen packages only include the hypervisor 'kernel', not the
    > associated linux kernel that xen ends up starting for Dom0...
    >
    > Out of curiosity, has anyone started work on PAE support for plan9?
    >
    > On 4/17/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
    > > > I've tried using the non-pae package and setting grub to load the
    > > > non-pae hypervisor. The hypervisor then complains that the Dom0 linux
    > > > kernel has pae enabled.

    > > Doesn't the non-pae xen package include a dom0 kernel? If not, it
    > > looks like you will indeed have to build one.

  7. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    your best bet with xen has always been to build a hypervisor and
    kernel from scratch. The packages, in my experience, are only useful
    for linux users.

    THX on 9grid.net has a hypervisor and kernel that will boot plan 9...

    ron

  8. Re: [9fans] xen3 and pae problems

    I'll take a look at that. Personally, I'd rather stick with the
    packages - slightly newer kernel with etch (the patched stuff from xen
    looks like it's still 2.6.16 or something? isn't 9p borked in that
    kernel release?).

    If all else fails, I've got a spare 15Gb partition to run plan9
    natively or set up NetBSD for Dom0.

    Thanks again guys!

    --
    John Osborne