[9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID - Plan9 ; Hi, I have an MSI K8T NEO2 FIR Motherboard with on-board VT8237 SATA/RAID I connected two SATA drives to it and used the BIOS Raid creator to create a striped RAID set. When I booted into Plan 9 I didn't ...

  1. [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID

    Hi,

    I have an MSI K8T NEO2 FIR Motherboard with on-board VT8237 SATA/RAID

    I connected two SATA drives to it and used the BIOS Raid creator to
    create a striped RAID set.

    When I booted into Plan 9 I didn't get the single striped drive I was
    hoping for :

    --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/data
    -lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/raw
    --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/ctl
    --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/data
    -lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/raw
    --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/ctl

    (yes they are 16Mb drives - they're compact flash in a SATA adapter)

    I rebooted and formatted them as FAT with Windows to test the striping
    which worked fine but but the result in Plan 9 was the same.

    I have an on-board SiL 3114 SATA/RAID at work so I'll try that one next

  2. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID

    it sounds like plan 9 is not recognizing the via sata "raid".
    from what i've read about this chipset, this is fake raid.
    generally chipsets with fake raid present their drives as
    legacy ata unless you fiddle with the correct registers. but
    in this case, i'm just guessing. linux doesn't appear to
    recognize raid mode for the 8237's vt6240, although it
    does set up native mode.

    why not compare sd[EF]0/data. if they are the same and
    you can mount one
    mount /srv/dos /n/e: /dev/sdE0/data
    then you could use '#k' to do the mirroring in software.

    - erik

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an MSI K8T NEO2 FIR Motherboard with on-board VT8237 SATA/RAID
    >
    > I connected two SATA drives to it and used the BIOS Raid creator to
    > create a striped RAID set.
    >
    > When I booted into Plan 9 I didn't get the single striped drive I was
    > hoping for :
    >
    > --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/data
    > -lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/raw
    > --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/ctl
    > --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/data
    > -lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/raw
    > --rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/ctl
    >
    > (yes they are 16Mb drives - they're compact flash in a SATA adapter)
    >
    > I rebooted and formatted them as FAT with Windows to test the striping
    > which worked fine but but the result in Plan 9 was the same.
    >

    > I have an on-board SiL 3114 SATA/RAID at work so I'll try that one next

  3. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID

    thanks to Ex-Cyber for this http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

    You're right, it's a fake RAID

    I just re-read fs(3) for #k and see interleaving of disks rather than
    mirroring

    I shall take a look at that because I'm chasing RAID 0 not RAID 1

    or rather I'm chasing I/O speed for CF and not really in plan9 because
    of no firewire, I'm just reporting in

    >it sounds like plan 9 is not recognizing the via sata "raid".
    >from what i've read about this chipset, this is fake raid.
    >generally chipsets with fake raid present their drives as
    >legacy ata unless you fiddle with the correct registers. but
    >in this case, i'm just guessing. linux doesn't appear to
    >recognize raid mode for the 8237's vt6240, although it
    >does set up native mode.
    >
    >why not compare sd[EF]0/data. if they are the same and
    >you can mount one
    > mount /srv/dos /n/e: /dev/sdE0/data
    >then you could use '#k' to do the mirroring in software.
    >
    >- erik
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have an MSI K8T NEO2 FIR Motherboard with on-board VT8237 SATA/RAID
    >>
    >>I connected two SATA drives to it and used the BIOS Raid creator to
    >>create a striped RAID set.
    >>
    >>When I booted into Plan 9 I didn't get the single striped drive I was
    >>hoping for :
    >>
    >>--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/data
    >>-lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/raw
    >>--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdE0/ctl
    >>--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 15990784 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/data
    >>-lrw------- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/raw
    >>--rw-r----- S 0 maht maht 0 Mar 5 2006 sdF0/ctl
    >>
    >>(yes they are 16Mb drives - they're compact flash in a SATA adapter)
    >>
    >>I rebooted and formatted them as FAT with Windows to test the striping
    >>which worked fine but but the result in Plan 9 was the same.
    >>

    >>I have an on-board SiL 3114 SATA/RAID at work so I'll try that one next

+ Reply to Thread