Re: [9fans] CA Bay Area Plan9 users group - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] CA Bay Area Plan9 users group - Plan9 ; Actually, most of the work done on the Plan 9 wiki in recent memory has been by me. I sort of gave up because apparently nobody can be bothered to even use it and they instead go use some junk ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Actually, most of the work done on the Plan 9 wiki in recent memory
    has been by me. I sort of gave up because apparently nobody can be
    bothered to even use it and they instead go use some junk who knows
    where that doesn't even work from Plan 9, which is what my email was
    about.

    uriel

    On 4/17/07, Christopher Nielsen wrote:
    > if you think things suck so much, then either do something about it or shut up.
    >
    > On 4/17/07, Uriel wrote:
    > > I guess nobody noticed we got a perfectly fine working wiki for Plan 9
    > > at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
    > >
    > > uriel
    > >
    > > P.S.: Actually, it sucks, but not more than other wikis.
    > >
    > > On 4/17/07, David Hendricks wrote:
    > > > I checked out a few wiki sites and pbwiki seems to be the easiest. Everyone
    > > > who wants to attend should feel free to log in to
    > > > http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting using the
    > > > password "factotum" to add your name and
    > > > suggest a time that's convenient.

    > > > for

    > > > possibility.

    > --
    > Christopher Nielsen
    > "They who can give up essential liberty for temporary
    > safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

  2. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 21:46 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
    > what day would people prefer? thursday is good for me, mon-wed at
    > least next week are a bit harder (FCCM conflict)

    thu and fri

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  3. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Hello everyone,
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but I want to remind everyone interested
    in the Bay Area Plan 9 user's group meeting to sign up on the wiki page (
    http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting ). Log in with the password
    "factotum" and edit yourself in. No matter where we end up having the
    meeting, having an accurate headcount will be important for getting the best
    facilities available and, if necessary, handling matters of security. It
    would be a shame for anyone to make it out to Mountain View or Livermore
    only to be turned away by a guard at the gate!

    P.S. Thanks to the people who have made the wiki page look nicer :-)

    On 4/17/07, David Hendricks < david.hendricks@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I checked out a few wiki sites and pbwiki seems to be the easiest.
    > Everyone who wants to attend should feel free to log in to http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting
    > using the password "factotum" to add your name and suggest a time that's convenient.
    >

    > On 4/16/07, Joel Franusic < joel@sargo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > David,
    > >
    > > A sign-up Wiki (9fans.pbwiki.com is available!) and/or an event on
    > > Upcoming.org would be great!
    > >
    > > Semi-related: I just got word that the next SHDH will be in Los Gatos
    > > on May 5th. 2pm to 2am.

    > > > FWIW, I can reserve a conference room on Google's campus in Mountain
    > > > View if that's more convenient. A 20+ person room with video
    > > > conferencing should be easy. Catering service can be provided as well
    > > > if we plan carefully.
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps we should try to make a sign-up Wiki somewhere?

    > > for

    > > possibility.

  4. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Hello again everyone,
    After a brief discussion, Ron and I agreed that the meeting should be at
    Google's campus in Mountain View rather than Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab.
    I'm in the process of getting things set up right now with the help of
    Leslie Hawthorn, the Open Source Program Manager who some of you know from
    her involvement in Summer of Code. With her help this should go rather
    painlessly, but in case something comes up I'll be sure to let everyone
    know.

    Also, Ron brought up a very good point about organization: We need an
    agenda. Ron suggested the following schedule:
    6:30 arrival, refreshments
    7:00 welcome, introductions all around, talk about why we are here and
    what we're doing
    7:15 or 7:30 somebody can show work in progress ( I can do THX if no
    one else does)
    do 2 or 3 of these depending on interest -- can someone talk about
    Skip tavvakolian's work?
    8:00 discuss what we can do, goals of the group, etc.

    Any more ideas would be appreciated!

  5. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    It would be nice if you could record the event for those of us that can't come.

    uriel

    On 4/30/07, David Hendricks wrote:
    > Hello again everyone,
    > After a brief discussion, Ron and I agreed that the meeting should be at
    > Google's campus in Mountain View rather than Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab.
    > I'm in the process of getting things set up right now with the help of
    > Leslie Hawthorn, the Open Source Program Manager who some of you know from
    > her involvement in Summer of Code. With her help this should go rather
    > painlessly, but in case something comes up I'll be sure to let everyone
    > know.
    >
    > Also, Ron brought up a very good point about organization: We need an
    > agenda. Ron suggested the following schedule:
    > 6:30 arrival, refreshments
    > 7:00 welcome, introductions all around, talk about why we are here and
    > what we're doing
    > 7:15 or 7:30 somebody can show work in progress ( I can do THX if no
    > one else does)
    > do 2 or 3 of these depending on interest -- can someone talk about
    > Skip tavvakolian's work?
    > 8:00 discuss what we can do, goals of the group, etc.
    >
    > Any more ideas would be appreciated!

  6. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Hello Uriel,
    ... and anyone else interested in this idea:

    On 4/30/07, Uriel wrote:

    > It would be nice if you could record the event for those of us that can't
    > come.
    >
    > uriel

    You've got it! Should we record the whole conference or figure out what
    would be best suited for video recording (WIPs, tech talks, etc)? If so, we
    should work work on that agenda idea a bit more.

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    2007/4/30, David Hendricks :
    > Hello Uriel,
    > ... and anyone else interested in this idea:
    >
    > On 4/30/07, Uriel wrote:
    > > It would be nice if you could record the event for those of us that can't

    > come.
    > >
    > > uriel
    > >

    > You've got it! Should we record the whole conference or figure out what
    > would be best suited for video recording (WIPs, tech talks, etc)? If so, we
    > should work work on that agenda idea a bit more.

    I'd say the whole thing. That's what the FBUG in SV has done in the past anyway.

  8. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Hello everyone,
    It's official! On behalf of Google Inc. it is my privilege to invite all
    you 9fans out there to our lovely Mountain View campus for the Bay Area Plan
    9 Users Group meeting. We're scheduled to start at 6:00pm and go until
    10:00pm on Thursday May 10. We have a spacious conference room which will
    comfortably sit 20 people (more if we're willing to sit on sofas and
    exercise balls :-) ). We'll have an overhead projector with easily
    accessible video connectors on the table, a huge whiteboard and power
    dongles for your notebooks available. In addition to myself and possibly a
    few other Googlers, a security guard will be on hand to let guests in and
    escort them to the conference room. An AV person will be there with a
    camcorder so those who can't make it can catch up later (And yes, the video
    will be made publicly available via Google Video). I've updated the Wiki
    page and will post details as they come.

    Special thanks to Leslie Hawthorn and the Open Source Programs Office for
    their help in getting this together. Feel free to contact me directly or ask
    questions on the mailing list. We look forward to seeing everyone there!

  9. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    On 4/30/07, David Hendricks wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > It's official! On behalf of Google Inc. it is my privilege to invite all
    > you 9fans out there to our lovely Mountain View campus for the Bay Area Plan
    > 9 Users Group meeting. We're scheduled to start at 6:00pm and go until
    > 10:00pm on Thursday May 10. We have a spacious conference room which will
    > comfortably sit 20 people (more if we're willing to sit on sofas and
    > exercise balls :-) ). We'll have an overhead projector with easily
    > accessible video connectors on the table, a huge whiteboard and power
    > dongles for your notebooks available. In addition to myself and possibly a
    > few other Googlers, a security guard will be on hand to let guests in and
    > escort them to the conference room. An AV person will be there with a
    > camcorder so those who can't make it can catch up later (And yes, the video
    > will be made publicly available via Google Video). I've updated the Wiki
    > page and will post details as they come.
    >
    > Special thanks to Leslie Hawthorn and the Open Source Programs Office for
    > their help in getting this together. Feel free to contact me directly or ask
    > questions on the mailing list. We look forward to seeing everyone there!

    That sounds great! I won't be there in person but I'll look for the video!

  10. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Hello once again,
    Just thought I'd drop one last note since we're less than a day away from
    the meeting. I'm optimistic that the turnout will be what we expect from the
    event wiki page plus several more I have spoken to via e-mail and off-line.

    We need to be courteous to those hosting our guest speakers off site so
    we'll have to get them started as close to 6:00pm as possible. I strongly
    recommend showing up at the campus at least 15 minutes beforehand to make
    sure signing in and troubleshooting won't cause delays. Give yourself extra
    time on the highways especially if you're taking 101. Once you find our
    campus, I suggest heading to the building 43 lobby to get a visitors badge.
    The lobby is next to that big mess of umbrellas you see in the satellite
    view of the area. Once inside, let the receptionist and/or security guard
    know you're there for the Plan 9 Users Group meeting in the Segou room on
    the second floor of B43.

    I've updated the event wiki page (
    http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting) with contact information.
    See you there!

  11. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Thank you David, Erik and others at Google that made this possible.

    > Hello once again,
    > Just thought I'd drop one last note since we're less than a day away from
    > the meeting. I'm optimistic that the turnout will be what we expect from the
    > event wiki page plus several more I have spoken to via e-mail and off-line.
    >
    > We need to be courteous to those hosting our guest speakers off site so
    > we'll have to get them started as close to 6:00pm as possible. I strongly
    > recommend showing up at the campus at least 15 minutes beforehand to make
    > sure signing in and troubleshooting won't cause delays. Give yourself extra
    > time on the highways especially if you're taking 101. Once you find our
    > campus, I suggest heading to the building 43 lobby to get a visitors badge.
    > The lobby is next to that big mess of umbrellas you see in the satellite
    > view of the area. Once inside, let the receptionist and/or security guard
    > know you're there for the Plan 9 Users Group meeting in the Segou room on
    > the second floor of B43.
    >
    > I've updated the event wiki page (
    > http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting) with contact information.
    > See you there!

  12. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    And thank *you* for giving such an excellent talk! The meeting was a huge
    success and we'll look forward to hosting you all again in the future.

    On 5/11/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

    > Thank you David, Erik and others at Google that made this possible.
    >
    > > Hello once again,
    > > Just thought I'd drop one last note since we're less than a day away

    > from
    > > the meeting. I'm optimistic that the turnout will be what we expect from

    > the
    > > event wiki page plus several more I have spoken to via e-mail and

    > off-line.
    > >
    > > We need to be courteous to those hosting our guest speakers off site

    > so
    > > we'll have to get them started as close to 6:00pm as possible. I

    > strongly
    > > recommend showing up at the campus at least 15 minutes beforehand to

    > make
    > > sure signing in and troubleshooting won't cause delays. Give yourself

    > extra
    > > time on the highways especially if you're taking 101. Once you find our
    > > campus, I suggest heading to the building 43 lobby to get a visitors

    > badge.
    > > The lobby is next to that big mess of umbrellas you see in the satellite
    > > view of the area. Once inside, let the receptionist and/or security

    > guard
    > > know you're there for the Plan 9 Users Group meeting in the Segou room

    > on
    > > the second floor of B43.
    > >
    > > I've updated the event wiki page (
    > > http://9fans.pbwiki.com/Bay-Area-9fans-Meeting) with contact

    > information.
    > > See you there!

  13. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    > And thank *you* for giving such an excellent talk! The meeting was a huge
    > success and we'll look forward to hosting you all again in the future.

    i didn't even realize that video con was an option for those close
    to a branch office. i'll be there next time....

  14. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    >> And thank *you* for giving such an excellent talk! The meeting was a huge
    >> success and we'll look forward to hosting you all again in the future.

    > i didn't even realize that video con was an option for those close
    > to a branch office. i'll be there next time....

    we talked about that possibility. our conf link from kirkland was just
    for the first hour of the meeting. i'm waiting for the video to see the
    rest of the meeting.

  15. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    On 5/11/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > i'm waiting for the video to see the rest of the meeting.

    Will the video be available for other 9fans to watch?

    --Joel

  16. Re: [9fans] Re: CA Bay Area Plan9 users group

    Yes, it will be available to everybody pretty soon. We need to address a
    couple special requests and make sure the audio is loud and clear for the
    whole thing. Think of this as a trial run; things will look much better next
    time.

    Also, I should note that we only taped about the first hour and a half of
    the conference when people were giving talks. It worked out for this meeting
    since we had a pretty loose organization. It would definitely help if we can
    come up with a better schedule for the next conference and let the AV people
    know what we're getting them into to avoid technical difficulties.

    On 5/11/07, Joel C. Salomon wrote:

    > On 5/11/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > > i'm waiting for the video to see the rest of the meeting.

    > Will the video be available for other 9fans to watch?
    >
    > --Joel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2