[9fans] request for examples - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] request for examples - Plan9 ; I'd like to help out with this... I think the wiki could do with more examples around setting up NFS clients/servers, aquarela usage, dedicated mail servers. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I mean, I know we're supposed ...

  1. [9fans] request for examples

    I'd like to help out with this...

    I think the wiki could do with more examples around setting up NFS
    clients/servers, aquarela usage, dedicated mail servers.

    Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I mean, I know we're supposed
    to be able to read the man pages and just be successful, but I still
    have a lot of trial and error, and often no success (like with
    aquarela).

    Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
    reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
    comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?

    Just a thought. Seems like more examples would be a good thing.

  2. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    On 4/3/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    \

    > Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
    > reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
    > comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?

    no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.

    > Just a thought. Seems like more examples would be a good thing.

    as long as at least two people can verify that the examples work.

    ron

  3. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    On 4/3/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > On 4/3/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > \
    > >
    > > Does having tons of shortcuts in the wiki discourage people from
    > > reading the man pages, and is that a bad thing, or does it just
    > > comfort new users with HOWTO's to get started on Plan 9?

    > no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.
    >

    > > Just a thought. Seems like more examples would be a good thing.
    > >

    > as long as at least two people can verify that the examples work.
    >
    > ron

    Ok that sounds good. Maybe a work in progress page and then promote
    things to the verified to work page :-)

    Dave

  4. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    > no. I still don't have TLS set up for imap, for example. It just won't work.

    Strange, it just works for me (sorry). I did have problems initially
    as the server I connect to (MS Exchange) wanted to use a subtly different
    auth scheme but I got a patch in last year to add that to upas/fs.

    for what its worth I run this script on boot to pick up my email.

    #!/bin/rc

    rfork en

    upas/fs -f /imaps/mail.mycompany.com/myusername
    cd /mail/fs/mbox

    while(){
    for (f in `{ls | grep '^[0-9]+' | sort -n}){
    upas/send -r inject!steve < $f/raw
    rm $f
    }
    sleep 60
    }

    -Steve

  5. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
    is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    On 4/3/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
    > is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

    it could just be the name of a machine.

    russ

  7. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    > i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
    > is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

    Yep, I am the only user of my machine so most people
    I send email to get adomain added and so forwareded on
    to exchange.

    # deliver injected mail locally
    inject!(.*) >> /mail/box/\1/mbox

    # my email
    local!steve >> /mail/box/steve/mbox

    # append the local domain to addresses without a domain
    local!(.*) alias \1@mycompany.com

    -Steve

  8. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    On 4/3/07, Steve Simon wrote:
    > > i don't see "inject" in my /mail/lib or /sys/src/cmd/upas/*/*.
    > > is this part of your /mail/lib/rewrite?

    > Yep, I am the only user of my machine so most people
    > I send email to get adomain added and so forwareded on
    > to exchange.
    >
    > # deliver injected mail locally
    > inject!(.*) >> /mail/box/\1/mbox
    >
    > # my email
    > local!steve >> /mail/box/steve/mbox
    >
    > # append the local domain to addresses without a domain
    > local!(.*) alias \1@mycompany.com
    >
    > -Steve

    I'm almost 100% moved into my new house, and hope to get a start on
    this wiki promise sometime either this evening, or this weekend. The
    wife and I have had a bunch of house guests and other distractions,
    but I'm hoping to start making some progress.

    Sorry for the delay.

    I'll start by migrating my Parallels configuration to the wiki, though
    I think the ability to include screenshots in the website I've got on
    mordor (which I still can't seem to log in to, having apparently more
    than one secstore with an invalid password, or I have a bad
    configuration for login), seem useful.

    Are images in Plan 9's wiki desireable? I realize that seeing it in
    Acme and being able to edit it there is a big advantage, but then that
    makes me think, can acme be extended to display images? Or would that
    just be a terrible idea? :-)

    Dave

  9. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    > Are images in Plan 9's wiki desireable?

    I would put the images in your contrib dir,
    you can then link directly to them from he wiki page via:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/...

    > ... can acme be extended to display images?

    fgb has this in progress I believe.

    -Steve

  10. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    > > ... can acme be extended to display images?
    >
    > fgb has this in progress I believe.

    so far I have just a hack that lets you run draw(2) apps
    in it, but it's going to need more than a hack to have
    a functional acme with images...

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  11. Re: [9fans] request for examples

    On 4/14/07, Federico Benavento wrote:
    > > > ... can acme be extended to display images?

    > > fgb has this in progress I believe.

    > so far I have just a hack that lets you run draw(2) apps
    > in it, but it's going to need more than a hack to have
    > a functional acme with images...
    >
    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento

    Great... I think I'm going to be able to get started in on it in
    earnest tonight then, I'm not sure I have a contrib directory or how
    to go about getting one :-). The wife's got classes to attend :-)

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread