Re: [9fans] slow performance - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] slow performance - Plan9 ; > Ok, the qsort is more faster, but i'm seeing something about that kind of > data structure... I've read in > 9.intro about the libbio and about bufering output is better, but when i've > tested the program with ...

  1. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    > Ok, the qsort is more faster, but i'm seeing something about that kind of
    > data structure... I've read in
    > 9.intro about the libbio and about bufering output is better, but when i've
    > tested the program with time,
    > i did coment the call pbst line.

    if i understand you correctly, there must be something wrong
    with your test setup. i got about the same runtime
    for your original program on linux and plan 9.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    Sorry, but what do you mean with "test setup" ?

    Making use of that topic. Actions like making new windows, `cat` something,
    `ls` something, well, draw things on the screen (when i start rio, windows
    opens and so on). that all actions are slower than here in Other O.S. (i
    think that there isnt problem to say what is it, maybe it can help.
    Slackware 10.1).

    Well, i want to make it clear that i'm not comparing 2 O.S. and saying that
    one is better of something like that, i'm using only a reference to say
    "well, i'm getting slow performance here, what's wrong?".

  3. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    That sounds like a video driver issue, depends on what card and what
    driver you are using. For me rio on ancient hardware is much faster
    than any X window manager on modern hardware.

    I have not been able to tell any difference on how fast rio is since
    it was first released almost a decade ago, all GUI operations have
    always been instantaneous, you can't get much faster than that.

    If you find Plan 9 slow for anything, even on ten years old hardware,
    then there is clearly something wrong with your setup, either you HD
    is not doing DMA, you are using VESA and your card doesn't like it, or
    something like that.

    uriel - who runs a 600Mhz CPU server and an even slower thinkpad
    terminal and still can compile kernels in seconds.

    On 4/1/07, pedro henrique antunes de oliveira wrote:
    > Sorry, but what do you mean with "test setup" ?
    >

    > Making use of that topic. Actions like making new windows, `cat` something,
    > `ls` something, well, draw things on the screen (when i start rio, windows
    > opens and so on). that all actions are slower than here in Other O.S. (i
    > think that there isnt problem to say what is it, maybe it can help.
    > Slackware 10.1).
    >

    > Well, i want to make it clear that i'm not comparing 2 O.S. and saying that
    > one is better of something like that, i'm using only a reference to say
    > "well, i'm getting slow performance here, what's wrong?".

  4. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    >Making use of that topic. Actions like making new windows, `cat` something,
    >`ls` something, well, draw things on the screen (when i start rio, windows
    >opens and so on). that all actions are slower than here in Other O.S. (i
    >think that there isnt problem to say what is it, maybe it can help. Slackware 10.1).

    on a machine as fast as yours, it's usually the video card interface that slows it down.
    can you
    cat '#v/vgactl'
    and
    echo $vgasize - $monitor

  5. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    % cat '#v/vgactl'
    type vesa
    size 1024x768x32 x8r8g8b8
    blank time 30 idle 0 state on
    hwaccel on
    hwblank off
    panning off
    addr p 0xd0000000 v 0xe0000000 size 0x4000000
    % echo $vgasize - $monitor
    1024x768x32 - vesa

    My video card is a GeForce Fx5200, with 128mb of memory.
    About the driver... i have never instaled a driver for it, if there is one,
    the system installed it to me. And how can i see if my HD is doind DMA or
    not?

  6. Re: [9fans] slow performance

    you are using vesa mode because monitor=vesa. you need to set
    your monitor. information on doing that is in vgadb(6). once your
    monitor information is set properly, the correct driver should be used.

    to check for dma, "cat /dev/sdC0/ctl". you will see dma x dmactl y.
    x describes the dma capabilities of the drive, y describes which dma
    capabilities are being used. so if x is nonzero but y is zero then
    "echo -n dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl" will turn dma on. this can be
    done automatically through plan9.ini. "man plan9.ini" for more info.

    - erik

    On Sun Apr 1 13:35:05 EDT 2007, ph.rpguo@gmail.com wrote:

    > % cat '#v/vgactl'
    > type vesa
    > size 1024x768x32 x8r8g8b8
    > blank time 30 idle 0 state on
    > hwaccel on
    > hwblank off
    > panning off
    > addr p 0xd0000000 v 0xe0000000 size 0x4000000
    > % echo $vgasize - $monitor
    > 1024x768x32 - vesa
    >
    > My video card is a GeForce Fx5200, with 128mb of memory.
    > About the driver... i have never instaled a driver for it, if there is one,
    > the system installed it to me. And how can i see if my HD is doind DMA or
    > not?

+ Reply to Thread