Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide - Plan9 ; I'm only concerned with the content and its validity, if someone would like to change the formating of the article to something better, go ahead. If you don't know how to work with the wiki, instructions can be found here: ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide

    I'm only concerned with the content and its validity, if someone would
    like to change the formating of the article to something better, go
    ahead.

    If you don't know how to work with the wiki, instructions can be found
    here:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ons/index.html
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...tax/index.html

    Basically you need to run acme ("acme" in term of plan9/inferno), got to
    /acme/wiki/guide, right click "Local srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki
    wiki /mnt/wiki" and then right click "Wiki /mnt/wiki/", The first wiki
    page will appear (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/)
    with instructions to right click a link to open it ( [Virtual machines]
    ), when the guide is opened simply make the modifications and middle
    click "Put" to save.

    * Play around acme b4 trying editing web content with it :-) I suggest
    the sandbox...

    I myself only just now figured out how to edit the wiki (thanks Uriel),
    weird how you can't edit it from an Internet browser ?!

    If you have content issues (something not working, you have something to
    add) you can try this mail list, emailing me and/or pointing it out in
    the wiki...

    If you need access from a windows machine to the wiki without actually
    having inferno/plan9 installed (to make small touch-ups and alike, only
    running a headless server, away from your machine, whatever), instead of
    installing all of inferno you can try this out:
    http://caerwyn.com/acme/

    P.S: now that I think of it, maybe a forum can be build using the same
    mechanism that is used by the wiki ? run a command in acme, log-in, and
    post on a forum ?

    Good Luck,
    Ram Kromberg
    ramkromberg@mail.com

  2. Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide

    > I myself only just now figured out how to edit the wiki (thanks Uriel),
    > weird how you can't edit it from an Internet browser ?!

    I think this answers Bill Hacker's question, and many others rather neatly:

    > Guess the 'bigger question' - taking just the 'symptoms' [1] - is why,
    > presuming the concepts (Plan9, and any/all 'sputniks') have value [2], it/they
    > is/are not in broader use already.

    You need to have a modicum of dedication not only to appreciate Plan
    9, but even to use it. Call it obsession if you prefer. That is not
    what Microsoft has been pushing; on the contrary, they are targeting
    as wide a market as they can embrace, while at least some of the ethos
    in Plan 9 is not to allow the dilution of craftmanship (I would use
    "art", but that has a taint of its own) that is fundamental to Plan 9.

    Look at Linux for another example: UBUNTU is very cool as a commodity
    operating system, but under the hood it is very awkward to customise
    and maintain; Plan 9 is consistent in this respect, and easy once you
    grasp its intrinsically simple nature.

    Just because a browser is too big a task to be undertaken by the
    community, does not mean it can't be done. It merely means that the
    community is not focused in that direction, and, of course, Abaco
    proves my point by being the exception that confirms the rule.

    ++L

  3. Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide

    > Guess the 'bigger question'

    not glitzy enough to compete for the desktop.
    glenda needs to be tarted up a bit.

+ Reply to Thread