[9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux - Plan9 ; Enrico Weigelt wrote: > > Hi folks, > > I'd like to do some experiments with 9p and write some little > servers and clients for running on Unix systems (ie. GNU/Linux). > > There are some packages (ie.u9fs and ...

  1. [9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux

    Enrico Weigelt wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'd like to do some experiments with 9p and write some little
    > servers and clients for running on Unix systems (ie. GNU/Linux).
    >
    > There are some packages (ie.u9fs and npfs) but they neither
    > worked for me, nor did I find any documentaion
    >
    > Any tips ?

    Install plan9port ( http://swtch.com/plan9port/ ). Read "9 man 3 9p"
    for how to write servers. You don't need to do anything special to
    write clients, Linux can mount 9p filesystems and you can just do file
    I/O on them.
    --
    Darren Bane

  2. Re: [9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux

    On 3/30/07, Darren Bane wrote:

    > Install plan9port ( http://swtch.com/plan9port/ ). Read "9 man 3 9p"
    > for how to write servers. You don't need to do anything special to
    > write clients, Linux can mount 9p filesystems and you can just do file
    > I/O on them.

    These libraries are a fine way to go if you want to write servers with
    the p9p library that can pretty much also work on Plan 9. We did that
    for a while with xcpu, but a number of considerations (performance,
    familiarity for people on other projects, bugs, etc.) moved us away
    from p9p to Lucho's server libraries. They work very well.

    thanks

    ron

+ Reply to Thread