[9fans] Plan B call for help - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan B call for help - Plan9 ; The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a ...

  1. [9fans] Plan B call for help

    The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find
    that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
    patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
    install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
    installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
    that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
    fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
    Thanks

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help

    I'm using Plan B also on standalone laptops.
    IIRC, the problem is that your bns is not reaching your fossil.
    send me your plan9.ini, /lib/ndb/vol/volumes and fossil configuration.
    And I'll try to see what's going on.

    BTW, I know at least of another person who did boot Plan B, and is now
    trying to get started with omero. He might be reacheable here.

    On 3/30/07, John Floren wrote:
    > The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find
    > that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
    > patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
    > install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
    > installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
    > that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
    > fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
    > Thanks
    >

    > John
    > --
    > Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help

    On 3/30/07, Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:
    > I'm using Plan B also on standalone laptops.
    > IIRC, the problem is that your bns is not reaching your fossil.
    > send me your plan9.ini, /lib/ndb/vol/volumes and fossil configuration.
    > And I'll try to see what's going on.
    >
    > BTW, I know at least of another person who did boot Plan B, and is now
    > trying to get started with omero. He might be reacheable here.
    >

    > On 3/30/07, John Floren wrote:
    > > The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to find
    > > that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
    > > patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
    > > install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
    > > installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
    > > that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
    > > fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > John
    > > --
    > > Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

    Here is plan9.ini:
    bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf
    bootargs=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
    bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fossil
    fs=127.0.0.1
    rootspec=main/active
    usrspec=main/active
    init=/386/bin/bns -lv
    planb=yes
    *nomp=1
    *nodumpstack=1
    partition=new
    dmamode=ask
    mouseport=ps2
    monitor=vesa
    vgasize=1280x1024x16

    ******************************
    Here is /lib/ndb/vol/vols. /lib/ndb/vol/volumes never existed, but I
    did copy vols to volumes just to be sure:
    /srv/fossil main/active / /
    /srv/fossil main/active /usr /usr
    /srv/fossil main/active /386/bin /bin 'arch=386 type=dir'
    /srv/fossil main/active /who /who
    /srv/fossil main/active /where /where

    *******************************
    Here is my fossil configuration:
    srv fossil
    fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
    fsys main open -V -c 1500

    Hope this helps

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help

    You might mean me. I got Plan B and omero working under QEMU by
    unpacking Plan B on top of the Plan 9 image from oszoo.org The steps
    I was missing were provided by FJB in the attached email.

    (Apologies if that is poorly formatted, or if FJB wished this to
    remain private)
    --
    Paul

    On 30 Mar 07, at 4:05 PM, Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:

    > I'm using Plan B also on standalone laptops.
    > IIRC, the problem is that your bns is not reaching your fossil.
    > send me your plan9.ini, /lib/ndb/vol/volumes and fossil configuration.
    > And I'll try to see what's going on.
    >
    > BTW, I know at least of another person who did boot Plan B, and is now
    > trying to get started with omero. He might be reacheable here.
    >

    > On 3/30/07, John Floren wrote:
    >> The other day I decided it was time to give Plan B a try, only to
    >> find
    >> that there isn't really too much documentation. Despite a lot of very
    >> patient help from nemo, I haven't been able to get a working Plan B
    >> install yet, so I'm asking this list if anyone here has experience
    >> installing Plan B on a small scale. I think part of the problem is
    >> that Prof. Ballesteros' setup has more machines than mine does. I'm
    >> fiddling around with a standalone terminal in Qemu.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> John
    >> --
    >> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  5. Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help

    So there is not a way to pull the omero tree over, and then do an
    rbind on /, and go from there? It would be most convenient if there
    were a way to use omero to test without dropping files all over the
    standard tree.

    ron

  6. Re: [9fans] Plan B call for help

    Regarding the config files they seem correct to me. Perhaps, Paul, you
    might try adding
    -A to your fossil config, to remove auth for your local srv file. That
    might perhaps
    explain why bns is not able to mount your fossil.

    Regarding Ron comment about how to try omero. It can be used with Plan
    9, but then you'd have to
    mount it by hand on the std place used in Plan B, /devs/$sysname^ui. And other
    omeros would not be seen in /devs as they show up. Also, it will try
    to use vera fonts,
    that are not included in Plan 9. Appart from these burdens, it should run fine.

    We have learn the lesson well. The omero I'm implementing in Limbo for
    the octopus
    will run in a std Inferno without changing anything. Other tools we're
    porting from Plan B
    will do the same. We hope to provide all that could be done in Plan B,
    both for Inferno and
    Plan 9, without chaning either system. That is in part why we did not
    package better the Plan B
    distribution. What we put in sources can still be used to try the
    system, but it requires some effort.

+ Reply to Thread