[9fans] non-PC hardware - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] non-PC hardware - Plan9 ; i should perhaps elaborate: sicortex stick 5000+ 64-bit mips cpus (each 1gflop, 972 six-way smp compute nodes) onto a single backplane connected in a Kautz topology. their whitepapers are quite interesting. won an award at SC'06, if i remember correctly. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    On 3/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > Anyone else see this blurb?

    > http://www.sicortex.com/

  2. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    They call it "compact". I wonder how would them call the "cluster" in the
    Tupperware I saw in the snapshots sent earlier to the list :-)

    On 3/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > Anyone else see this blurb?

    > http://www.sicortex.com/

  3. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    On 3/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > Anyone else see this blurb?

    > http://www.sicortex.com/

    That's the one. Interesting box.

    -J

  4. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    however, their flash presentation should be skipped:

    "Each node implements six full 64-bit Linux processors..." ?

    that's almost a fortune.

    - erik

    On Wed Mar 28 12:22:20 EDT 2007, mirtchovski@gmail.com wrote:
    > i should perhaps elaborate:
    >
    > sicortex stick 5000+ 64-bit mips cpus (each 1gflop, 972 six-way smp
    > compute nodes) onto a single backplane connected in a Kautz topology.
    > their whitepapers are quite interesting.
    >
    > won an award at SC'06, if i remember correctly.
    >
    > On 3/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > > Anyone else see this blurb?

    > > http://www.sicortex.com/

  5. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    > i should perhaps elaborate:
    >
    > sicortex stick 5000+ 64-bit mips cpus (each 1gflop, 972 six-way smp
    > compute nodes) onto a single backplane connected in a Kautz topology.
    > their whitepapers are quite interesting.
    >
    > won an award at SC'06, if i remember correctly.
    >
    > On 3/28/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    >> > Anyone else see this blurb?

    >> http://www.sicortex.com/

    Cool. One of my PhD students graduated on Kautz networks (Gerard Smit and
    Paul Havinga, "Rattlesnake, a network for real-time multimedia communications",
    SIGCOMM, 23(3), July 1992).

    Sape

  6. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 12:42:22PM -0300, Iruata Souza wrote:
    > On 3/27/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > >arm
    > >ppc
    > >x86_64
    > >
    > >not a bad choice, what else would you want to run on?

    > mips

    sparc
    hppa
    power
    cell
    ... everything.

    Small and old real boxen in particular.
    What does plan9 need GHz for anyway

  7. Re: [9fans] non-PC hardware

    On Thu Mar 29 06:56:01 EDT 2007, harriha@mail.student.oulu.fi wrote:
    > Small and old real boxen in particular.
    > What does plan9 need GHz for anyway

    plan 9 may not need ghz but it sure uses them well. we just installed a new
    5000P-based cpu server with a single dual-core 1.85ghz woodcrest.

    ; cd /sys/src/fs/kibbiee
    ; mk clean; time mk>/dev/null
    1.22u 1.17s 2.16r mk

    ; cd /sys/src/9/pc
    ; mk clean; time mk 'CONF=pc'>/dev/null
    3.80u 3.35s 5.71r mk CONF=pc

    that's with just one of the on-board nics using standard frames
    and ken's fileserver serving files via il.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2