[9fans] working with the wiki - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] working with the wiki - Plan9 ; I think I fundamentally misunderstand how the wiki works, working with "http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html" I'm finding the system less intuitive then author intended :-( Basically I "srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki" and then "acme /mnt/wiki/" to find the sandbox "/mnt/wiki/sandbox/index.html" with permissions denied, ...

  1. [9fans] working with the wiki

    I think I fundamentally misunderstand how the wiki works,
    working with
    "http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html"
    I'm finding the system less intuitive then author intended :-(

    Basically I "srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki" and then
    "acme /mnt/wiki/" to find the sandbox "/mnt/wiki/sandbox/index.html" with
    permissions denied,
    So I'm thinking "obviously this is database driven like php and alike" so
    I'm trying to write stuff to the index.txt, again no luck :-(
    next is the sub-directories, again "permission denied"...
    Maybe its a question of overwriting other people work ? no new file
    allowed to be put...

    I know its probably something very basic in not just how the wiki works
    but probably how plan 9 works, unfortunately I just can't figure it out,
    I'm guessing I'm simply trying to edit the wrong files, or I need to auth
    for read/write access, but I just don't get it...

    P.S: Though I understand that limiting access to editing using plan 9
    itself rather then having an edit button is useful in reducing vandalism,
    I still prefer having an edit button in a browser, but I guess a browser
    will be a good start ;-)

    Help
    Ram Kromberg
    ramkromberg@mail.com

  2. Re: [9fans] working with the wiki

    you'll need to srv with a username and password (normally it attaches as
    none). it used to be that you can get an account on sources automatically,
    but i have no idea how you get one now (perhaps something to add to the wiki
    if it isn't there

  3. Re: [9fans] working with the wiki

    There is an acme program called "Wiki" that you
    are supposed to run instead of opening /mnt/wiki directly.

    Russ

  4. Re: [9fans] working with the wiki

    On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:21:39AM +0200, ramkromberg@mail.com wrote:
    > I think I fundamentally misunderstand how the wiki works,
    > working with
    > "http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html"
    > I'm finding the system less intuitive then author intended :-(
    >
    > Basically I "srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki" and then
    > "acme /mnt/wiki/" to find the sandbox "/mnt/wiki/sandbox/index.html" with
    > permissions denied,
    > So I'm thinking "obviously this is database driven like php and alike" so
    > I'm trying to write stuff to the index.txt, again no luck :-(
    > next is the sub-directories, again "permission denied"...
    > Maybe its a question of overwriting other people work ? no new file
    > allowed to be put...

    Please do *exactly* what you are told in

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ons/index.html

    and try again.

    lee

  5. Re: [9fans] working with the wiki

    You certainly don't need an account to access or edit the wiki. The
    only thing an account is needed for this days is if you want to have
    your own /n/sources/contrib
    directory.

    Ram: open /acme/wiki/guide in acme, execute the first line of that
    file, then execute the third line. You are set.

    Best wishes

    uriel

    On 3/27/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > you'll need to srv with a username and password (normally it attaches as
    > none). it used to be that you can get an account on sources automatically,
    > but i have no idea how you get one now (perhaps something to add to the wiki
    > if it isn't there

  6. Re: [9fans] working with the wiki

    my bad, please scratch my earlier post from the record.

+ Reply to Thread