Re: [9fans] Venti Install - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Venti Install - Plan9 ; Yeah. DMA helps a lot on venti formatting. However, I saw this ominous message on my console when installing another tip9ug host on VMware ESX 3.0 Server which only supports Buslogic SCSI adaptor. init: starting /bin/rc echo: write error: bad ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    Yeah. DMA helps a lot on venti formatting.
    However, I saw this ominous message on my console when
    installing another tip9ug host on VMware ESX 3.0 Server
    which only supports Buslogic SCSI adaptor.

    init: starting /bin/rc
    echo: write error: bad process or channel control request
    echo: write error: bad process or channel control request

    I guess someone tried to turn DMA on for the SCSI drive and failed.
    --

  2. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    are you sure this is a DMA problem. there are lots of
    places in the kernel that return Ebadctl.

    pc/devether.c:266: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/ethersink.c:31: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/ethervgbe.c:1082: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2202: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2208: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2212: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2218: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2223: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2227: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2232: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2236: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2242: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdata.c:2245: error(Ebadctl);
    pc/sdmv50xx.c:1170: cmderror(cb, Ebadctl);
    pc/wavelan.c:1120: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devpnp.c:615: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devpnp.c:623: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devproc.c:1056: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devproc.c:1357: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devproc.c:1367: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devproc.c:1372: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devproc.c:1379: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:97: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:155: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:1230: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:1255: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:1258: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:1267: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsd.c:1273: error(Ebadctl);
    port/devsegment.c:387: error(Ebadctl);
    port/error.h:25: extern char Ebadctl[]; /* bad process or channel control request */
    ppc/devether.c:256: error(Ebadctl);

    YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com> writes

    | Yeah. DMA helps a lot on venti formatting.
    | However, I saw this ominous message on my console when
    | installing another tip9ug host on VMware ESX 3.0 Server
    | which only supports Buslogic SCSI adaptor.
    |
    | init: starting /bin/rc
    | echo: write error: bad process or channel control request
    | echo: write error: bad process or channel control request
    |
    | I guess someone tried to turn DMA on for the SCSI drive and failed.

  3. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    The lines that were quoted:

    init: starting /bin/rc
    echo: write error: bad process or channel control request
    echo: write error: bad process or channel control request

    are almost always caused by trying to enable dma
    when it's not available.

    In the case of VMware, I believe DMA is never available,
    since they handle the REP INSL instruction as efficiently
    as they could simulate DMA anyway. I know this is the
    case for the simulated IDE. I am not as sure about
    simulated SCSI.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread