Re: [9fans] Venti Install - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Venti Install - Plan9 ; > > > > > Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear > > > > > that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get > > > > ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    If you install venti next time, give it a small arena partition.
    400MB should be fine for the dump right after the installation.
    You can format another bigger partition and add it later.

    # am installing venti on 200GB disk now
    --

  2. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    that's a smart hint. tho going to the pub while it does its stuff
    is tastier. my limbo venti is "format on demand" which seems
    more sensible. who cares if the rest of the arena space contains
    crap? i don't - as long as it's ready for use when needed.

    brucee

    On 3/26/07, YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com> wrote:

    > If you install venti next time, give it a small arena partition.
    > 400MB should be fine for the dump right after the installation.
    > You can format another bigger partition and add it later.
    >
    > # am installing venti on 200GB disk now
    > --

  3. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    several other people have made helpful suggestions about
    coping with the time to format, but i thought i'd include
    a reminder to ensure dma and rwm are switched on.
    that might require editing the switch cases in sdata.c(?).
    that upgrades the original PC controller scheme to work nearly as well as an RL02.
    the few times i've formatted venti partitions, i've found that
    made a big difference to the elapsed time, in the sense that i
    went from `how many days will this take??' to `not too bad'.

  4. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    yeah well i chose O(1) over O(n) because n is getting really big.

    brucee

    On 3/26/07, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > several other people have made helpful suggestions about
    > coping with the time to format, but i thought i'd include
    > a reminder to ensure dma and rwm are switched on.
    > that might require editing the switch cases in sdata.c(?).
    > that upgrades the original PC controller scheme to work nearly as well as an RL02.
    > the few times i've formatted venti partitions, i've found that
    > made a big difference to the elapsed time, in the sense that i
    > went from `how many days will this take??' to `not too bad'.

+ Reply to Thread