Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995 - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995 - Plan9 ; On 3/24/07, reidc@cableone.net wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking to buy a full Plan 9 kit from 1995. > "The full kit (ISBN 0-03-017143-1) will be shipped with a CD-ROM, four > diskettes and two manuals." There are ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    On 3/24/07, reidc@cableone.net wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a full Plan 9 kit from 1995.
    > "The full kit (ISBN 0-03-017143-1) will be shipped with a CD-ROM, four
    > diskettes and two manuals."

    There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
    instead of downloading a current CD from
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
    manuals from Vita Nuova.

    What are yours? (I'm just curious.)

    I don't know of any current sources for buying the 1995 set.

    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    On 3/25/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
    > instead of downloading a current CD from
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
    > manuals from Vita Nuova.

    Note that VN's kit also comes with the CD; should be everything you
    need, at least on a PC.

    > What are yours? (I'm just curious.)
    >
    > I don't know of any current sources for buying the 1995 set.

    indeed. i had a full set back in '97-ish, but have since lost the
    disks. a few years ago i tried to replace them; amazon had a used full
    set available for about $650, which was way to high just to satisfy my
    sense of historical completeness. now all they've got is something
    ambiguously called "Plan 9 From Bell Labs (Paperback)" which, if you
    read the comments, seems to be a photocopied reprint (and i'm still
    not sure which volume it's a reprint of, although i imagine Volume 1;
    several such things were created at the Labs once we could no longer
    get hard copies for new hires) for $15.

  3. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    On 3/25/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > On 3/24/07, reidc@cableone.net wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am looking to buy a full Plan 9 kit from 1995.
    > > "The full kit (ISBN 0-03-017143-1) will be shipped with a CD-ROM, four
    > > diskettes and two manuals."

    > There are very few reasons why one would want this kit
    > instead of downloading a current CD from
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9 and buying printed
    > manuals from Vita Nuova.

    By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
    CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
    version of the 4th Edition ?

    --
    Laurent Malvert [laurent.malvert@gmail.com]

  4. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    >By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
    >CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
    >version of the 4th Edition ?

    the CDs are written as needed and are usually reasonably current.
    (`reasonably' because the .iso image that's used is fetched at particular times,
    not always every time a CD is written. if it looks too old, we download a new one.)

  5. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    On 3/26/07, C H Forsyth wrote:
    > >By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
    > >CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
    > >version of the 4th Edition ?

    > the CDs are written as needed and are usually reasonably current.
    > (`reasonably' because the .iso image that's used is fetched at particular times,
    > not always every time a CD is written. if it looks too old, we download a new one.)

    nice. ongoing order :-)
    but it's painful to notive that with shipping + taxes I pay 2x the
    original price, argh.
    worth it, though, in my opinion.

    --
    Laurent Malvert [laurent.malvert@gmail.com]

  6. Re: [9fans] Looking to buy Plan 9 full kit from 1995

    As there appear to be a limited demand and I'm short of cash my copy
    is for sale:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190097225655

    Cheers,
    John

    On 27/03/07, Laurent Malvert wrote:
    > On 3/26/07, C H Forsyth wrote:
    > > >By the way, in the case of that Vita Nuova CD+manuals package, is the
    > > >CD being sold up to date with the current sources ? or is it the 2002
    > > >version of the 4th Edition ?

    > > the CDs are written as needed and are usually reasonably current.
    > > (`reasonably' because the .iso image that's used is fetched at particular times,
    > > not always every time a CD is written. if it looks too old, we download a new one.)
    > >

    > nice. ongoing order :-)
    > but it's painful to notive that with shipping + taxes I pay 2x the
    > original price, argh.
    > worth it, though, in my opinion.
    >
    > --
    > Laurent Malvert [laurent.malvert@gmail.com]