[9fans] Dum-Bass question - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Dum-Bass question - Plan9 ; Fans, Online docs ( http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/8/9load ) describing Plan9's boot process, say, in part: ....in order to find configuration information, 9load searches all units on devices fd and sdCn, in that order, for a file called plan9\plan9.ini or plan9.ini (see plan9.ini(8)) ...

  1. [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    Fans,

    Online docs (http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/8/9load) describing Plan9's
    boot process, say, in part:

    ....in order to find configuration information, 9load searches all units on
    devices fd and sdCn, in that order, for a file called plan9\plan9.ini or
    plan9.ini (see plan9.ini(8)) on a partition named dos or 9fat. If one is found,
    searching stops and the file is read into memory at physical address 0x1200
    where it can be found later by any loaded bootfile. Some options in plan9.ini
    are used by 9load...

    NB: These may be the wrong docs... Google dasn't *quite* read minds....)

    Elsewhere, instructions and examples are publshed for *creating* a plan9.ini file.

    My questions are:

    - Does a CD-install of 'native' Plan9 to a combined fossil/venti HDD partition
    (eminently bootable, runnable) create a default 'plan9.ini'?

    - If so, *where*, and how can I cat or Sam it from a running system?

    - If not, how and where *does* Plan9 derive the functionally equivalent
    information it needs to complete the boot process?

    (i.e. - given that it is operating the hardware as expected, what goes on
    if/as/when the above search *fails*?)

    Objective of the exercise (at this point) is to confirm that plan9.ini or
    functional equivalent, effects the published default of disabling the second
    core in a Core-D P4, and, if so, attempt to re-enable same and see what, if
    anything, breaks.

    A mere link to more appropriate docs may be all I need...

    Perplexed (after ls'ing all over Hell and at least half of Texas..)

    Bill Hacker

  2. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    glendy# 9fat:
    glendy# cd /n/9fat
    glendy# lc
    9LOAD 9pc 9pccpuf 9pccpuf.gz 9pcf 9pxeload PLAN9.INI
    glendy# lookman 9fat
    man 2 authsrv # authsrv(2)
    man 4 dossrv # dossrv(4)
    man 8 9load # 9load(8)
    man 8 booting # booting(8)
    man 8 prep # prep(8)
    man 8 update # update(8)

    Best wishes

    uriel

    On 3/24/07, W B Hacker wrote:
    > Fans,
    >
    > Online docs (http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/8/9load) describing Plan9's
    > boot process, say, in part:
    >
    > ...in order to find configuration information, 9load searches all units on
    > devices fd and sdCn, in that order, for a file called plan9\plan9.ini or
    > plan9.ini (see plan9.ini(8)) on a partition named dos or 9fat. If one is found,
    > searching stops and the file is read into memory at physical address 0x1200
    > where it can be found later by any loaded bootfile. Some options in plan9.ini
    > are used by 9load...
    >
    > NB: These may be the wrong docs... Google dasn't *quite* read minds....)
    >

    > Elsewhere, instructions and examples are publshed for *creating* a plan9.ini file.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > - Does a CD-install of 'native' Plan9 to a combined fossil/venti HDD partition
    > (eminently bootable, runnable) create a default 'plan9.ini'?
    >
    > - If so, *where*, and how can I cat or Sam it from a running system?
    >
    > - If not, how and where *does* Plan9 derive the functionally equivalent
    > information it needs to complete the boot process?
    >
    > (i.e. - given that it is operating the hardware as expected, what goes on
    > if/as/when the above search *fails*?)
    >
    > Objective of the exercise (at this point) is to confirm that plan9.ini or
    > functional equivalent, effects the published default of disabling the second
    > core in a Core-D P4, and, if so, attempt to re-enable same and see what, if
    > anything, breaks.
    >
    > A mere link to more appropriate docs may be all I need...
    >
    > Perplexed (after ls'ing all over Hell and at least half of Texas..)
    >
    > Bill Hacker

  3. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    2007/3/24, W B Hacker :
    > Fans,
    >
    > Online docs (http://planb.lsub.org/magic/man2html/8/9load) describing Plan9's
    > boot process, say, in part:
    >
    > ...in order to find configuration information, 9load searches all units on
    > devices fd and sdCn, in that order, for a file called plan9\plan9.ini or
    > plan9.ini (see plan9.ini(8)) on a partition named dos or 9fat. If one is found,
    > searching stops and the file is read into memory at physical address 0x1200
    > where it can be found later by any loaded bootfile. Some options in plan9.ini
    > are used by 9load...
    >
    > NB: These may be the wrong docs... Google dasn't *quite* read minds....)
    >

    > Elsewhere, instructions and examples are publshed for *creating* a plan9.ini file.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > - Does a CD-install of 'native' Plan9 to a combined fossil/venti HDD partition
    > (eminently bootable, runnable) create a default 'plan9.ini'?

    Yes, it does. You need to run 9fat: at an rc prompt (including the
    colon) and the 9fat partition will be available under /n/9fat

    > - If so, *where*, and how can I cat or Sam it from a running system?

    Note that since namespaces are local, not global, you won't be able to
    modify plan9.ini from an acme / sam session external to the terminal
    from which you ran 9fat:.

    > - If not, how and where *does* Plan9 derive the functionally equivalent
    > information it needs to complete the boot process?
    >
    > (i.e. - given that it is operating the hardware as expected, what goes on
    > if/as/when the above search *fails*?)
    >
    > Objective of the exercise (at this point) is to confirm that plan9.ini or
    > functional equivalent, effects the published default of disabling the second
    > core in a Core-D P4, and, if so, attempt to re-enable same and see what, if
    > anything, breaks.

    Yeah, by default *nomp=yes is set. If you want to enable SMP, remove
    that line, and it should work. Though Plan 9 does periodically have
    issues with various APICs.

    > A mere link to more appropriate docs may be all I need...
    >
    > Perplexed (after ls'ing all over Hell and at least half of Texas..)
    >
    > Bill Hacker

    --dho

  4. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > 2007/3/24, W B Hacker :

    *snip*

    > Yes, it does. You need to run 9fat: at an rc prompt (including the
    > colon) and the 9fat partition will be available under /n/9fat
    >
    >> - If so, *where*, and how can I cat or Sam it from a running system?

    > Note that since namespaces are local, not global, you won't be able to
    > modify plan9.ini from an acme / sam session external to the terminal
    > from which you ran 9fat:.

    ACK.

    *snip*

    > Yeah, by default *nomp=yes is set. If you want to enable SMP, remove
    > that line, and it should work. Though Plan 9 does periodically have
    > issues with various APICs.

    Standby one....

    Bill

  5. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    Uriel wrote:
    > glendy# 9fat:
    > glendy# cd /n/9fat
    > glendy# lc
    > 9LOAD 9pc 9pccpuf 9pccpuf.gz 9pcf 9pxeload PLAN9.INI

    *snip*

    Magical!

    I've got the rest in hand...

    Many thanks!

    Bill Hacker

  6. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    2007/3/24, W B Hacker :
    > Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > > 2007/3/24, W B Hacker :

    > *snip*
    >

    > > Yes, it does. You need to run 9fat: at an rc prompt (including the
    > > colon) and the 9fat partition will be available under /n/9fat
    > >
    > >> - If so, *where*, and how can I cat or Sam it from a running system?

    > > Note that since namespaces are local, not global, you won't be able to
    > > modify plan9.ini from an acme / sam session external to the terminal
    > > from which you ran 9fat:.
    > >

    > ACK.

    Though I should note that you could certainly, in acme, middle click
    on 9fat:, then right click select /n/9fat/plan9.ini and that would
    obviously work too

    > *snip*
    > >
    > > Yeah, by default *nomp=yes is set. If you want to enable SMP, remove
    > > that line, and it should work. Though Plan 9 does periodically have
    > > issues with various APICs.
    > >

    > Standby one....
    >
    > Bill

    Look forward to hearing whether it works.... It didn't like the last
    P3 SMP box I tried.

    --dho

  7. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > 2007/3/24, W B Hacker :
    >> Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    >> > 2007/3/24, W B Hacker :

    >> *snip*

    Done.

    Up and running, reporting both CPU at beginning of boot mesages.

    Asus P5VDC-MX, Inel Pentium D 915 Dual-Core, 2 GB DDR2 800.

    More as I stress it.... but looks golden from C3-800 up.

    *snip*

    > Though I should note that you could certainly, in acme, middle click
    > on 9fat:, then right click select /n/9fat/plan9.ini and that would
    > obviously work too

    'Obviously?' Thanks, but if it is all the same, I would rather have Irish
    Alzheimer's. Easier to remember....

    ;-)

    >> *snip*
    >> >
    >> > Yeah, by default *nomp=yes is set. If you want to enable SMP, remove
    >> > that line, and it should work. Though Plan 9 does periodically have
    >> > issues with various APICs.
    >> >

    >> Standby one....
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Look forward to hearing whether it works.... It didn't like the last
    > P3 SMP box I tried.

    Intel's 'HAL' idea of SMP in P3 days (or earlier - my first was an Asus with
    twin Pentium 90 MHz) was somewhat *bent*. Warp on one CPU was 40% faster than
    NT4 on two, and that held on P1 200 & PentiumPro 200 as well.

    Bill

  8. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    > Intel's 'HAL' idea of SMP in P3 days (or earlier - my first was an Asus with
    > twin Pentium 90 MHz) was somewhat *bent*. Warp on one CPU was 40% faster than
    > NT4 on two, and that held on P1 200 & PentiumPro 200 as well.

    How much can you tell me about this early equipment? I have such a
    box and would dearly like to address its quirks as it is the only MP
    device I own. Even Linux (and NetBSD, but that's easier to forgive)
    barfs on it, but SCO Unix used to cope with it.

    ++L

  9. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 05:31:09PM -0400, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    >Though I should note that you could certainly, in acme, middle click
    >on 9fat:, then right click select /n/9fat/plan9.ini and that would
    >obviously work too

    The fact that it obviously would work notwithstanding, it doesn't sork.
    You would need to run 'Local 9fat:' instead. Also, you could run 'plumb
    Local 9fat:' and have it available everywhere.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    Any improbable event which would create maximum confusion
    if it did occur, will occur.

  10. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    one way to use equipment that does not boot plan 9 is to run
    a fileserver kernel on it. if you already have a cpu/auth server,
    this works out pretty well. my home fileserver is a dual processor
    pIII-based machine with a 440gx chipset and an 8169-based nic.
    obviously the fs doesn't use the second processor, but it's not
    cpu-bound anyway.

    - erik

    On Sun Mar 25 00:55:16 EDT 2007, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
    > > Intel's 'HAL' idea of SMP in P3 days (or earlier - my first was an Asus with
    > > twin Pentium 90 MHz) was somewhat *bent*. Warp on one CPU was 40% faster than
    > > NT4 on two, and that held on P1 200 & PentiumPro 200 as well.

    > How much can you tell me about this early equipment? I have such a
    > box and would dearly like to address its quirks as it is the only MP
    > device I own. Even Linux (and NetBSD, but that's easier to forgive)
    > barfs on it, but SCO Unix used to cope with it.
    >
    > ++L

  11. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    > one way to use equipment that does not boot plan 9 is to run
    > a fileserver kernel on it.

    Sadly, the machine in question has an on-board Adaptec SCSI adapter.
    I think mowing lawns would be more rewarding.

    ++L

  12. Re: [9fans] Dum-Bass question

    assuming that this is an unsupported adaptec adapter, there
    is no law requiring its use. doesn't this machine have pata?

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread