[9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem,unless run as root - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem,unless run as root - Plan9 ; I found out this was due to an Application Enhancer I was running that was only intended for one application. While "APEs" are neat they clearly insert themselves in between mach calls on some applications, which, in my case, unless ...

  1. [9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem,unless run as root

    I found out this was due to an Application Enhancer I was running that
    was only intended for one application.

    While "APEs" are neat they clearly insert themselves in between mach
    calls on some applications, which, in my case, unless I was running as
    root, caused drawterm to spin.

    Scary... but the "Spin Control" Developer tool caught it.

    I had to open up a system preferences panel and disable the
    enhancement in error. There is a dialog to select applications to
    avoid interposing the enhancer with, but it doesn't work unless your
    application is a .app. (so much for us command line junkies...)

    At any rate, I've now got drawterm without having to run with root
    perms, and it explains why I didn't see this behavior on my laptop.

    Beware of Haxies and APEs on Mac OS X, they almost all claim to be
    "safe", but that kind of activity is just scary if you ask me. (as is
    mach_override)

    - Dave

  2. Re: [9fans] solved... Mac OS X Native drawterm "spinning" problem,unless run as root

    Check out the Month of Apple Bugs for how dangerous APE is.

    Noah

    On 3/24/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > I found out this was due to an Application Enhancer I was running that
    > was only intended for one application.
    >
    > While "APEs" are neat they clearly insert themselves in between mach
    > calls on some applications, which, in my case, unless I was running as
    > root, caused drawterm to spin.
    >
    > Scary... but the "Spin Control" Developer tool caught it.
    >
    > I had to open up a system preferences panel and disable the
    > enhancement in error. There is a dialog to select applications to
    > avoid interposing the enhancer with, but it doesn't work unless your
    > application is a .app. (so much for us command line junkies...)
    >
    > At any rate, I've now got drawterm without having to run with root
    > perms, and it explains why I didn't see this behavior on my laptop.
    >
    > Beware of Haxies and APEs on Mac OS X, they almost all claim to be
    > "safe", but that kind of activity is just scary if you ask me. (as is
    > mach_override)
    >
    > - Dave

+ Reply to Thread