[9fans] cpdir - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] cpdir - Plan9 ; Since I'm getting back into the swing of things, I want to give praises as well as scoldings. Scoldings: interoperability for doing things like exporting filesystems to Inferno and importing these is a huge pain in the ass, and poorly ...

  1. [9fans] cpdir

    Since I'm getting back into the swing of things, I want to give
    praises as well as scoldings.

    Scoldings: interoperability for doing things like exporting
    filesystems to Inferno and importing these is a huge pain in the ass,
    and poorly documented. (Yes, I know, write documents, Devon). I'm just
    pointing out that, after talking with Kris for 2 hours last night, I
    finally got the magical auth stuff and everything working well enough
    to mount my Inferno exported filesystem. (I tried exporting from Plan
    9 to Inferno, but I kept getting fversion conversion problems).

    A lot of my problems are due to misconceptions and misunderstandings
    about what things do.

    Praises: cpdir -m is amazing. 10 thumbs up. Cookies, kudos and beer.
    Utilities like this need to be in the main distribution.

    --dho

  2. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    On 21 Mar 2007, at 15:44, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

    > Since I'm getting back into the swing of things, I want to give
    > praises as well as scoldings.
    >
    > Scoldings: interoperability for doing things like exporting
    > filesystems to Inferno and importing these is a huge pain in the ass,
    > and poorly documented. (Yes, I know, write documents, Devon). I'm just
    > pointing out that, after talking with Kris for 2 hours last night, I
    > finally got the magical auth stuff and everything working well enough
    > to mount my Inferno exported filesystem. (I tried exporting from Plan
    > 9 to Inferno, but I kept getting fversion conversion problems).

    Please do write it up, I currently have a idea running in the back of
    my head of making inferno drawtermable, and leveraging the recent
    port of drawterm to os x. Then no need to use X11 for inferno.
    There's probably a better/more simple way of doing this.

    > A lot of my problems are due to misconceptions and misunderstandings
    > about what things do.
    >
    > Praises: cpdir -m is amazing. 10 thumbs up. Cookies, kudos and beer.
    > Utilities like this need to be in the main distribution.
    >
    > --dho

  3. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    > my head of making inferno drawtermable, and leveraging the recent
    > port of drawterm to os x. Then no need to use X11 for inferno.
    > There's probably a better/more simple way of doing this.

    andrey has already updated a copy of inferno previously updated by
    me to include paul lalonde's drawterm changes.
    i need to merge andrey's latest changes in.

  4. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    On 3/21/07, C H Forsyth wrote:
    > > my head of making inferno drawtermable, and leveraging the recent
    > > port of drawterm to os x. Then no need to use X11 for inferno.
    > > There's probably a better/more simple way of doing this.

    > andrey has already updated a copy of inferno previously updated by
    > me to include paul lalonde's drawterm changes.
    > i need to merge andrey's latest changes in.

    And this would allow drawterm to Inferno via Inferno drawterm? Or
    drawterm from Inferno to Plan 9?

    --
    - Passage Matthew 5:37:
    But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever

  5. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    Neither, it lets you use native graphics on os x.
    It's a bit nippier then the x11 version, and
    The only problem is no support for single button trackpads/mice.
    I made it it by doing mk -f mkfile-a in the latest $infernoroot/emu/
    MacOSX directory.
    Though you can use inferno as a drawterm via wmexport/wmimport and 9win

    On 21 Mar 2007, at 20:03, David Leimbach wrote:

    > On 3/21/07, C H Forsyth wrote:
    >> > my head of making inferno drawtermable, and leveraging the recent
    >> > port of drawterm to os x. Then no need to use X11 for inferno.
    >> > There's probably a better/more simple way of doing this.

    >> andrey has already updated a copy of inferno previously updated by
    >> me to include paul lalonde's drawterm changes.
    >> i need to merge andrey's latest changes in.
    >>

    > And this would allow drawterm to Inferno via Inferno drawterm? Or
    > drawterm from Inferno to Plan 9?
    >

    > --
    > - Passage Matthew 5:37:
    > But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever
    > is more than these cometh of evil.

  6. Re: [9fans] cpdir

  7. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    On 3/22/07, Abhey Shah wrote:
    > Neither, it lets you use native graphics on os x.
    > It's a bit nippier then the x11 version, and
    > The only problem is no support for single button trackpads/mice.
    > I made it it by doing mk -f mkfile-a in the latest $infernoroot/emu/
    > MacOSX directory.
    > Though you can use inferno as a drawterm via wmexport/wmimport and 9win

    Yeah I realized that I totally misread after I sent the email :-).
    Inferno with native graphics on Mac OS X is a huge step for me to use
    it more often. Especially when I can have things like acme-sac.

    Dave

    > >> andrey has already updated a copy of inferno previously updated by
    > >> me to include paul lalonde's drawterm changes.
    > >> i need to merge andrey's latest changes in.
    > >>

    > > And this would allow drawterm to Inferno via Inferno drawterm? Or
    > > drawterm from Inferno to Plan 9?
    > >

    > > --
    > > - Passage Matthew 5:37:
    > > But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever
    > > is more than these cometh of evil.

  8. Re: [9fans] cpdir

    On 3/22/07, Paul Lalonde wrote:

    > I have a hideous little hack in my version of drawterm that turn F1-
    > F2-F3 into the three mouse buttons to help with using my macbook. It
    > took some getting used to, but it works. Andrey also added some
    > support for using the option and apple keys as modifiers and which
    > also support chording. His change is probably more usable than mine.
    >
    > Paul

    I use something like this with Plan 9 on Parallels, but it's a lot
    easier there IMO as I just update the keymaps.

    > On 22-Mar-07, at 4:15 AM, Abhey Shah wrote:
    >
    > > Neither, it lets you use native graphics on os x.
    > > It's a bit nippier then the x11 version, and
    > > The only problem is no support for single button trackpads/mice.
    > > I made it it by doing mk -f mkfile-a in the latest $infernoroot/emu/
    > > MacOSX directory.
    > > Though you can use inferno as a drawterm via wmexport/wmimport and
    > > 9win

    > >> And this would allow drawterm to Inferno via Inferno drawterm? Or
    > >> drawterm from Inferno to Plan 9?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> - Passage Matthew 5:37:
    > >> But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever
    > >> is more than these cometh of evil.

    --
    - Passage Matthew 5:37:
    But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever
    is more than these cometh of evil.

+ Reply to Thread