[9fans] fs(3), venti, raid, and more - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] fs(3), venti, raid, and more - Plan9 ; Hey. I'm setting up a fileserver. Right now I have 2 250GB disks in it, that I would like to mirror. I don't particularly care to mirror single partitions. I want the whole damn thing to be mirrored, and when ...

  1. [9fans] fs(3), venti, raid, and more

    Hey.

    I'm setting up a fileserver. Right now I have 2 250GB disks in it,
    that I would like to mirror. I don't particularly care to mirror
    single partitions. I want the whole damn thing to be mirrored, and
    when anything happens to it, on any partition, it should be synced
    between the two.

    I'm lead to believe that this is possible by using fs(3). I've put:

    mirror rootmirror /dev/sdC0/data /dev/sdD0/data

    into /dev/fs/ctl, and put this into a partition accessible through
    /dev/sdC0/fscfg

    #1) Is fs supposed to sync data from sdC0 to sdD0? If so, shouldn't
    sdD0 have all the partitions of sdC0 at some point?

    #2) Later, when I add another 2 drives, I'll want to mirror them and
    add them to available storage. What's the easiest way to do this?

    #3) Which manpages should I read for info on exporting the storage
    pools to other good citizens on my network?

    Thanks,

    Devon

  2. Re: [9fans] fs(3), venti, raid, and more

    > mirror rootmirror /dev/sdC0/data /dev/sdD0/data

    sounds plausablem though when I have done it I mirrored
    partition by partition.

    I also didn't mirror fossil as that can be re-generated
    easily from venti but used its pair as my `other' - partition
    for big temporary stuff that I don't want to keep in
    venti - eg MP3s, MPEGs, ISO's etc.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread