[9fans] Venti Install - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Venti Install - Plan9 ; Hi, Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get put in so that the next time I do this, I don't have ...

  1. [9fans] Venti Install

    Hi,

    Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear
    that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get
    put in so that the next time I do this, I don't have to wait N hours?

    Thanks,

    Devon

  2. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    > Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear
    > that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get
    > put in so that the next time I do this, I don't have to wait N hours?

    At the moment, you have the choice between slow, stable, tested code
    and fast, unstable, less tested code. The slow code is in the distribution.
    I'm sorry venti installs are slow, but the new code still has problems
    that need to be worked out.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    2007/3/19, Russ Cox :
    > > Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear
    > > that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get
    > > put in so that the next time I do this, I don't have to wait N hours?

    > At the moment, you have the choice between slow, stable, tested code
    > and fast, unstable, less tested code. The slow code is in the distribution.
    > I'm sorry venti installs are slow, but the new code still has problems
    > that need to be worked out.

    Do you have an ISO I can try?

    > Russ

    --dho

  4. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    On 3/19/07, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > 2007/3/19, Russ Cox :
    > > > Installing a Venti system with plan9.iso sucks the big one. I hear
    > > > that Russ has magic code which makes it not suck. Can this PLEASE get
    > > > put in so that the next time I do this, I don't have to wait N hours?

    > > At the moment, you have the choice between slow, stable, tested code
    > > and fast, unstable, less tested code. The slow code is in the distribution.
    > > I'm sorry venti installs are slow, but the new code still has problems
    > > that need to be worked out.

    > Do you have an ISO I can try?

    No, the code only exists in p9p.
    I have not brought it up on Plan 9 proper.

    Russ

  5. Re: [9fans] Venti Install

    2007/3/19, Russ Cox :
    > On 3/19/07, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
    > > 2007/3/19, Russ Cox :
    > > >
    > > > At the moment, you have the choice between slow, stable, tested code
    > > > and fast, unstable, less tested code. The slow code is in the distribution.
    > > > I'm sorry venti installs are slow, but the new code still has problems
    > > > that need to be worked out.

    > > Do you have an ISO I can try?

    > No, the code only exists in p9p.
    > I have not brought it up on Plan 9 proper.
    >
    > Russ

    Well that's a pity. I think it would get more testing as an option in
    the install image. Anyway, I guess that's something for later. It
    finished, but there was some i/o error, so I may be reinstalling
    anyway in case it's something that can be put in some ISO for us
    random users to test between now and then.

    --dho

+ Reply to Thread