[9fans] Distributed P2P file system with security and versiontracking - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Distributed P2P file system with security and versiontracking - Plan9 ; My company (KPMG) currently has over 100 000 workers. Most people have a laptop with a hard disk of dozens of gigabytes. I was thinking, has anyone thought of a distributed P2P file system, where all users could offer, say ...

  1. [9fans] Distributed P2P file system with security and versiontracking

    My company (KPMG) currently has over 100 000 workers. Most people have
    a laptop with a hard disk of dozens of gigabytes. I was thinking, has
    anyone thought of a distributed P2P file system, where all users could
    offer, say 10 G disk space, so that our network would have a 10 000
    Terabyte shared disk? I guess Plan 9 would be a good platform to try
    ideas like this. I mean a virtual disk that would look excatly like a
    real one, with good redundancy and error recovery, clever caching,
    security...

  2. Re: [9fans] Distributed P2P file system with security and versiontracking

    hello

    take a look at http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/, i think is just what
    you are looking for.There is no port to plan9 afaik, but it is nice
    thing to have

    slds

    gabi

    On 3/19/07, Anssi Porttikivi wrote:
    > My company (KPMG) currently has over 100 000 workers. Most people have
    > a laptop with a hard disk of dozens of gigabytes. I was thinking, has
    > anyone thought of a distributed P2P file system, where all users could
    > offer, say 10 G disk space, so that our network would have a 10 000
    > Terabyte shared disk? I guess Plan 9 would be a good platform to try
    > ideas like this. I mean a virtual disk that would look excatly like a
    > real one, with good redundancy and error recovery, clever caching,
    > security...

+ Reply to Thread