[9fans] Audio with QEMU - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Audio with QEMU - Plan9 ; Well, I've got my QEMU terminal booting and mounting the filesystem over the network. Now I'd like to get audio working, so I start QEMU with the -soundhw sb16 option and put the following in plan9.ini: audio0=type=sb16 irq=5 port=0x220 dma=5 ...

  1. [9fans] Audio with QEMU

    Well, I've got my QEMU terminal booting and mounting the filesystem
    over the network. Now I'd like to get audio working, so I start QEMU
    with the -soundhw sb16 option and put the following in plan9.ini:

    audio0=type=sb16 irq=5 port=0x220 dma=5

    When I reboot and 'bind -a '#A' /dev', I can now use madplay to play
    an mp3, but the output I get is very scratchy and generally ugly, like
    a terribly static-garbled radio station. Can anyone with experience in
    this give me some pointers? Thanks.

    John Floren

  2. Re: [9fans] Audio with QEMU

    You could use esound for audio in plan9 if your host enviroment
    has a esd-server. (here is even a windows implementation but i
    have the client only tested against the original esd code)

    the sourcecode is at:

    http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/esdaudio.tgz

    code is something messy and here is no manpage :-(

    you can invoke it with:

    esdaudio tcp!host!port

    if you want to do authentification you can pass a keyfile with
    the -k option.

    it binds itself over /dev and provides /volume /audio /audioin.

    have fun
    cinap_lenrek

  3. Re: [9fans] Audio with QEMU

    On 1/2/00, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

    > Well, I've got my QEMU terminal booting and mounting the filesystem
    > over the network. Now I'd like to get audio working, so I start QEMU
    > with the -soundhw sb16 option and put the following in plan9.ini:
    >
    > audio0=type=sb16 irq=5 port=0x220 dma=5
    >
    > When I reboot and 'bind -a '#A' /dev', I can now use madplay to play
    > an mp3, but the output I get is very scratchy and generally ugly, like
    > a terribly static-garbled radio station. Can anyone with experience in
    > this give me some pointers? Thanks.
    >

    > John Floren

    When I use madplay on Plan 9 native, sound cuts since it's a slow machine,
    so I give madplay a higher priority and then it sounds fine:

    # the details are covered by proc(3) /Priorities/
    pid=`{ps | awk '/madplay/ {print $2}'
    cat /proc/$pid/status
    echo pri 18 > /proc/$pid/ctl
    cat /proc/$pid/status