Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/orinferno - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/orinferno - Plan9 ; On 3/16/07, ramkromberg@mail.com wrote: > If plan9 can reach students as part of OS design course instead of linux their`s a good > chance it will get more wide spread (PlanB?), this should be possible because linux is > really ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/orinferno

    On 3/16/07, ramkromberg@mail.com wrote:
    > If plan9 can reach students as part of OS design course instead of linux their`s a good
    > chance it will get more wide spread (PlanB?), this should be possible because linux is
    > really badly conceptualized and programmed so a professor might prefer the well written
    > code of plan9, unfortunately professors are really busy people that won't try plan9 without
    > a good academic buzz around it - Care to write a paper ?

    So all we need is a new Operating Systems textbook using Plan 9 for
    example code?

    Sounds reasonable: when I took OSs last semester, the professor was
    using Linux kernel code, heavily edited for readability; I could
    usually find the same functionality in the Plan 9 kernel code with
    more readable code.

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/orinferno

    Already done, see the last item here:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...#RECENT_PAPERS
    and http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

    Can we kill this thread now? Thanks

    uriel

    On 3/16/07, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
    > On 3/16/07, ramkromberg@mail.com wrote:
    > > If plan9 can reach students as part of OS design course instead of linux their`s a good
    > > chance it will get more wide spread (PlanB?), this should be possible because linux is
    > > really badly conceptualized and programmed so a professor might prefer the well written
    > > code of plan9, unfortunately professors are really busy people that won't try plan9 without
    > > a good academic buzz around it - Care to write a paper ?

    > So all we need is a new Operating Systems textbook using Plan 9 for
    > example code?
    >
    > Sounds reasonable: when I took OSs last semester, the professor was
    > using Linux kernel code, heavily edited for readability; I could
    > usually find the same functionality in the Plan 9 kernel code with
    > more readable code.
    >
    > --Joel

  3. Re: [9fans] Re: interesting potential targets for plan 9 and/orinferno

    On 3/16/07, Uriel wrote:
    > > So all we need is a new Operating Systems textbook using Plan 9 for
    > > example code?

    > Already done, see the last item here:
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...#RECENT_PAPERS
    > and http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

    The "Notes on the Plan 9 kernel source" is a great resource -- for
    someone familiar with operating system internals who wants a feel for
    the "Plan 9 Way™"; the "Introduction to Operating Systems
    Abstractions" is closer to the level of Kernighan & Pike. There's
    plenty of room for the book I suggested between the other two.

    --Joel

+ Reply to Thread