[9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections - Plan9 ; Hello I cpu'ed to a host A, and cpu forwarded a plumb message about a new mail, so faces displays it, but it has no access to it as that upas/fs is in other namespace. If I click on the ...

  1. [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections

    Hello

    I cpu'ed to a host A, and cpu forwarded a plumb message about a new mail,
    so faces displays it, but it has no access to it as that upas/fs is in other
    namespace.

    If I click on the message, faces tries to open the email with the number
    from the
    Plumb message. If you have that index number on your local inbox you will
    see the
    Corresponding email.

    What do you think about adding a field to the message with the name of the
    machine
    so faces can at least give you a pointer to where the message comes from?

    Is that totally silly, am I missing difficulties hidden somewhere?

    Thanks

    Gabi

  2. Re: [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections

    I would suggest a better solution would be to start the local upas/fs
    watching the two different mailboxes - I haven't tried this for a long time
    but it should work (bitrot not withstanding).

    in your profile:

    plumber
    9fs remote
    upas/fs -n # do not open /mail/box/$user/mbox
    echo open /mail/box/$user/mbox loc > /mail/fs/ctl
    echo open /remote/mail/box/$user/mbox rem > /mail/fs/ctl
    rio

    There may still be some assumptions in the plumber or upas/fs
    about the name of the mailbox to watch / plumb, however that
    seems like the proper place for a fix (IMHO).

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections

    i use two mailboxes at work -- one local and one imap. this
    requires some changes to nedmail as ned assumed that
    any named mbox needed to be reopened.

    my copy of nedmail is in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/nedmail.c.
    if this is helpful, let me know and i'll clean it up for submission.

    - erik

    On Fri Mar 16 08:40:21 EDT 2007, steve@quintile.net wrote:
    > I would suggest a better solution would be to start the local upas/fs
    > watching the two different mailboxes - I haven't tried this for a long time
    > but it should work (bitrot not withstanding).
    >
    > in your profile:
    >
    > plumber
    > 9fs remote
    > upas/fs -n # do not open /mail/box/$user/mbox
    > echo open /mail/box/$user/mbox loc > /mail/fs/ctl
    > echo open /remote/mail/box/$user/mbox rem > /mail/fs/ctl
    > rio
    >
    > There may still be some assumptions in the plumber or upas/fs
    > about the name of the mailbox to watch / plumb, however that
    > seems like the proper place for a fix (IMHO).

  4. Re: [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections

    Plumber is working fine. You simply asked it to connect
    two programs inappropriately -- an upas/nedmail running
    in one name space with an upas/fs running in a different
    name space.

    If, on the other hand, you were also running acme Mail
    in the cpu window, then everything would have worked out
    fine, even though plumber and faces are on different
    machines from upas/fs and Mail.

    Embedding machine names in messages attacks the
    generality and power of the system.

    Plan 9 relies heavily on its conventions. If you break the
    conventions, sometimes the system doesn't work as well
    (bind /net/tcp /proc && ps).

    But being able to break the conventions is important and
    powerful, because if you break them just a little, sometimes
    the system works even better (import helix /proc && acid 123;
    sshnet; snapfs; bind /mnt/term/net/tcp /net/tcp && ssh; etc.).

    Russ

  5. Re: [9fans] faces and the plumb messages received by cpu connections

    hello

    thanks all for the comments.

    i suppose an rc script is enough to add
    the cpu'ed mailbox to the local one without
    having a pre-configured script, to get faces and
    upasfs working with cpued hosts.

    gabi

    On 3/16/07, Russ Cox wrote:
    > Plumber is working fine. You simply asked it to connect
    > two programs inappropriately -- an upas/nedmail running
    > in one name space with an upas/fs running in a different
    > name space.
    >
    > If, on the other hand, you were also running acme Mail
    > in the cpu window, then everything would have worked out
    > fine, even though plumber and faces are on different
    > machines from upas/fs and Mail.
    >
    > Embedding machine names in messages attacks the
    > generality and power of the system.
    >
    > Plan 9 relies heavily on its conventions. If you break the
    > conventions, sometimes the system doesn't work as well
    > (bind /net/tcp /proc && ps).
    >
    > But being able to break the conventions is important and
    > powerful, because if you break them just a little, sometimes
    > the system works even better (import helix /proc && acid 123;
    > sshnet; snapfs; bind /mnt/term/net/tcp /net/tcp && ssh; etc.).
    >
    > Russ

+ Reply to Thread