[9fans] USB keyboard - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] USB keyboard - Plan9 ; Some time ago, I put Plan 9 on a machine with a USB mouse and somebody was able to help me add a few lines to plan9.ini to make it work. Now I've switched from PS/2 to USB keyboard on ...

  1. [9fans] USB keyboard

    Some time ago, I put Plan 9 on a machine with a USB mouse and somebody
    was able to help me add a few lines to plan9.ini to make it work. Now
    I've switched from PS/2 to USB keyboard on a machine with an existing
    Plan 9 installation. Is there a similar incantation that will make
    this keyboard work? (GRUB and Linux see it OK.)

    --
    Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM)
    http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/c64.html

  2. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard

    i'm not sure what the cannonical way to do this is but
    in plan9.ini i set mouseport=usb and then i have modified the
    mouse-setting part of /rc/bin/termrc to read like this

    if(test -f /dev/mousectl && ~ $mouseport ps2 ps2intellimouse 0 1 2 usb){
    if(~ $mouseport usb)
    usbstart
    if not
    aux/mouse $mouseport
    # parse vgasize into fields
    vgasize=`{echo $vgasize}
    if(! ~ $"monitor '' && ! ~ `{cat /dev/user} none)
    aux/vga -l $vgasize
    if(~ $accupoint 1)
    pipefile -dr /bin/aux/accupoint /dev/mouse
    }

  3. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard

    d'oh. keyboard. i think it might be time to go home. ;-)

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard

    On 3/16/07, Glenn Holmer wrote:
    > Some time ago, I put Plan 9 on a machine with a USB mouse and somebody
    > was able to help me add a few lines to plan9.ini to make it work. Now
    > I've switched from PS/2 to USB keyboard on a machine with an existing
    > Plan 9 installation. Is there a similar incantation that will make
    > this keyboard work? (GRUB and Linux see it OK.)

    AFAIK Plan 9 doesn't support USB keyboards. However, a lot of BIOSes
    have some sort of "legacy" option to present a USB keyboard to the OS
    as if it were PS2.
    But, the fact that the keyboard works in grub suggests your BIOS is
    already doing this (at least I didn't have any luck getting grub to
    respond to a USB keyboard). Not sure why you're then running into
    problems when Plan 9 boots... Maybe the BIOS hands off responsibility
    after the OS initialises USB or something - worth a look through the
    BIOS menus.

  5. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard

    the usb driver switches off legacy mode, so if you need
    that, and don't need any other usb devices, try not including
    the usb driver and leave legacy mode on in the bios.
    if it's a terminal and usb mouse is needed too, that might
    not work (legacy mode is supposed to support the mouse too
    so that DOS will work, but i don't think i've tried it myself).

  6. Re: [9fans] USB keyboard

    On 3/22/07, C H Forsyth wrote:
    > the usb driver switches off legacy mode, so if you need
    > that, and don't need any other usb devices, try not including
    > the usb driver and leave legacy mode on in the bios.
    > if it's a terminal and usb mouse is needed too, that might
    > not work (legacy mode is supposed to support the mouse too
    > so that DOS will work, but i don't think i've tried it myself).

    I've had no luck on some BIOSes with using legacy mode for both
    keyboard and mouse. I distinctly remember having to pick one or the
    other to get FreeBSD to work. But that was many years ago, and on a
    different machine. :-)

+ Reply to Thread