[9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students - Plan9 ; For those of you who don't know, Plan 9 has applied and been accepted to participate in Google's Summer of Code 2007. There is a wide range of project areanas that can be accepted, including those related to Inferno, Plan ...

  1. [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    For those of you who don't know, Plan 9 has applied and been accepted to
    participate in Google's Summer of Code 2007. There is a wide range of
    project areanas that can be accepted, including those related to
    Inferno, Plan 9 Port, and a number of Plan 9 related projects for other
    OSs. A list of ideas has been posted to the wiki, and you are all
    welcome to add to it:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/GSoC07/

    Anyone wishing to serve as a mentor should apply as soon as possible:
    http://code.google.com/soc/mentor.html

    Anyone wishing to apply as a student should first read the
    aforementioned wiki page, and then, after due consideration, proceed to
    Google's application:
    http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ent-applicants

    --
    Kris Maglione

    Never be first to do anything.

  2. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    > Anyone wishing to serve as a mentor should apply as soon as possible:
    > http://code.google.com/soc/mentor.html

    the deadline for this has passed, no?

  3. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    2007/3/15, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com>:
    > > Anyone wishing to serve as a mentor should apply as soon as possible:
    > > http://code.google.com/soc/mentor.html

    > the deadline for this has passed, no?

    I just applied; it seems like you still can. The deadline for projects
    to apply to have mentored positions has passed, but mentors may still
    join projects, it seems.

    --dho

  4. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:40:37AM -0800, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
    >the deadline for this has passed, no?

    The deadline for mentoring organizations to apply was the 12th. The
    application included a list of initial mentors. After the organizations
    were chosen, they began accepting applications for both mentors and
    students.

    At this point, the lists of project ideas and mentors can still be
    updated. It would be best to do so sooner than later, though, especially
    for the project list, since students who wish to apply will be looking
    at the lists, and will have to chose a project before the 24th.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    When travelling overseas, the exchange rate improves
    markedly the day after one has purchased foreign
    currency.

  5. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    I have an ape port of libssh (and latest openssl) almost ready. it's
    been sitting idle for a month waiting for me to get back to it. there
    is a sample ssh1/2 client that comes with the library. i've been able
    to get it to a stage where i can make ssh2 connections against a linux
    server but no ssh1 connections against a plan9 server. this is where
    it's at right now. it uses libauth for authentication questions so it
    speaks with the native factotum.

    if someone is willing to either rewrite the sample ssh client from
    scratch or willing to work on the current one i will gladly donate the
    source. my port doesn't have good documentation so you'll have to ask
    if you don't understand something.

    send me an email if you care.

  6. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:30:57PM -0600, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    >if someone is willing to either rewrite the sample ssh client from
    >scratch or willing to work on the current one i will gladly donate the
    >source. my port doesn't have good documentation so you'll have to ask
    >if you don't understand something.

    It would be nice if you would post that to the wiki. Also, if you'd be
    interested in mentoring a student who works in it, that would work quite
    well.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    Real programmers don't write specs -- users should
    consider themselves lucky to get any programs at all and
    take what they get.

  7. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    is P9P also included?

    if so, i think a project to port p9p to windows would be good.

    another is a standalone "9import2fuse", (with auth built in)

  8. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:47:17AM -0800, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
    >is P9P also included?
    >
    >if so, i think a project to port p9p to windows would be good.
    >
    >another is a standalone "9import2fuse", (with auth built in)

    Indeed, anything fairly closely related to Plan 9, including Inferno and
    Plan 9 Port applies. The wiki has some similar suggestions, as I
    recall. Feel free to add any ideas you have to the wiki page. Also, feel
    free to apply to mentor them

    --
    Kris Maglione

    You may know where the market is going, but you can't
    possibly know where it's going after that.

  9. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    I don't have spare cycles for mentoring, unfortunately. i doubt i can
    be as good a teacher as most other people here, and i'm not much for
    hand-holding either.

    I've put the code as /contrib/andrey/libssh-0.2.tgz and would like to
    apologize beforehand for the state it is in.

    > It would be nice if you would post that to the wiki. Also, if you'd be
    > interested in mentoring a student who works in it, that would work quite
    > well.
    >
    > --
    > Kris Maglione
    >
    > Real programmers don't write specs -- users should
    > consider themselves lucky to get any programs at all and
    > take what they get.

  10. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    libssh2 documentation: "mk all". try 8.ssh2. see how bad it fails. fix.

    8.sshd may not work at all. untested.

  11. Re: [9fans] Summer of Code: Call for mentors and students

    On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:50:13PM -0700, Fernan Bolando wrote:
    >shoudn't there be a kencc for linux in there? It would make porting
    >between linux and plan9 easier.

    In where? It's been on the project suggestions list from the beginning.

    --
    Kris Maglione

    "Close" only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades and
    thermonuclear devices.

+ Reply to Thread