[9fans] just FYI - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] just FYI - Plan9 ; this is how you do hello world on OLPC: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial thanks ron...

  1. [9fans] just FYI

    this is how you do hello world on OLPC:
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] just FYI

    i prefer the brian kernighan's much less obfuscated b version:

    main(){
    extrn a, b, c;
    putchar(a); putchar(b); putchar(c); putchar('!*n');
    }

    a 'hell';
    b 'o, w';
    c 'orld';

    the only thing that's not exactly obvious is how '!*n' is a newline.

    also, they clearly haven't been paying attention. it's spelled with a ",".

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] just FYI

    On 2/13/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > this is how you do hello world on OLPC:
    > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

    What's the minimum Hello World in, say, Limbo using Tk for the dialog?

    -Jack

  4. Re: [9fans] just FYI

    Aren't these the same OLPC people that say modern developers use way
    too much memory? I agree, but does anyone know the amount of memory
    wasted by Python + SVG + GTK? I like python, but I'm not fooled about
    it's size...

    --
    If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
    principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come

    -- GŁnter Grass

  5. Re: [9fans] just FYI

    how about for the inferno shell
    sh
    load std tk
    pctl newpgrp
    wid=${tk window 'Hello world'}
    tk onscreen $wid
    tk $wid update
    while {} {tk winctl $wid ${recv $wid}} &

    not quite the same, it doesn't have a button.
    The actual code isn't hugely shorter it just seems like there is a
    whole load of other inconsistently formatted boilerplate stuff to do.

    On 13 Feb 2007, at 20:49, Jack Johnson wrote:

    > On 2/13/07, ron minnich wrote:
    >> this is how you do hello world on OLPC:
    >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

    > What's the minimum Hello World in, say, Limbo using Tk for the dialog?
    >
    > -Jack

  6. Re: just FYI

    On Feb 13, 10:54 pm, knapj...@gmail.com (Jack Johnson) wrote:
    > On 2/13/07, ron minnich wrote:
    >
    > > this is how you do hello world on OLPC:
    > >http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial

    > What's the minimum Hello World in, say, Limbo using Tk for the dialog?
    >
    > -Jack

    Haven't been using Limbo lately, but my standard first program for Tcl/
    Tk teaching was:

    (run wish tcl interpreter with tk loaded, up pops a canvas and a
    command line interpreter in two windows)

    set a "button not clicked"
    entry .field_in_default_window -textvariable a
    pack .field_in_default_window
    button .button_under_it -text "Click here" -command {set a "you
    clicked"}
    pack .button

+ Reply to Thread