[9fans] Parallels on intel Mac - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac - Plan9 ; Hello, Recently I retried to install Plan 9 to Parallels on intel Mac. The Parallels version is RC2(Build 3150 Release Candidate 2 (beta version)). The version is much better than current production version. Now we can install Plan 9 without ...

  1. [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac

    Hello,

    Recently I retried to install Plan 9 to Parallels on intel Mac.
    The Parallels version is RC2(Build 3150 Release Candidate 2 (beta
    version)).
    The version is much better than current production version.
    Now we can install Plan 9 without any special patch.
    I tried latest plan9.iso

    In VM configuration:
    Booting: CD-ROM
    Use image file
    specify plan9.iso
    Connect to: IDE 0:1
    Advanced: Enable Intel VT-x support
    "Enable" is OK but might be safe to make disable

    Note that: RC2 requires that boot CD-ROM must be IDE:01

    In booting process:
    boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
    use DMA for ide drive[yes]: no

    You will succeed in installing plan9.iso,
    However I don't know how to make ether to work.
    Does anyone know the configuration?

    Kenji Arisawa

  2. Re: [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac

    Hi,

    To get the ethernet card working, you need to use the special kernel
    that David Leimbach has on his site. Check the archives for the
    correct location.

    Thanks,
    Lucho

    On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:25 PM, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I retried to install Plan 9 to Parallels on intel Mac.
    > The Parallels version is RC2(Build 3150 Release Candidate 2 (beta
    > version)).
    > The version is much better than current production version.
    > Now we can install Plan 9 without any special patch.
    > I tried latest plan9.iso
    >

    > In VM configuration:
    > Booting: CD-ROM
    > Use image file
    > specify plan9.iso
    > Connect to: IDE 0:1
    > Advanced: Enable Intel VT-x support
    > "Enable" is OK but might be safe to make disable
    >
    > Note that: RC2 requires that boot CD-ROM must be IDE:01
    >
    > In booting process:
    > boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
    > use DMA for ide drive[yes]: no
    >
    > You will succeed in installing plan9.iso,
    > However I don't know how to make ether to work.
    > Does anyone know the configuration?
    >
    > Kenji Arisawa

  3. Re: [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac

    Yeah that kernel was built with patches supplied by JMK who did some
    extra kernel coding for that I think. (It's been a really long time
    since I looked at the sources)

    I guess if the new ISOs aren't working yet that means that code hasn't
    been merged back into the sources repository.

    Anyway this is rather outdated
    http://mordor.tip9ug.jp/who/leimy/parallels.html

    But it does work with 16 bit color modes max in Parallels with the
    vesa driver. I used to have it working with 32bpp, but that's not
    working in the latest Parallels beta or RC.

    The network seems to work fine though.

    Dave

    On 2/9/07, Latchesar Ionkov wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > To get the ethernet card working, you need to use the special kernel
    > that David Leimbach has on his site. Check the archives for the
    > correct location.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lucho
    >
    > On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:25 PM, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Recently I retried to install Plan 9 to Parallels on intel Mac.
    > > The Parallels version is RC2(Build 3150 Release Candidate 2 (beta
    > > version)).
    > > The version is much better than current production version.
    > > Now we can install Plan 9 without any special patch.
    > > I tried latest plan9.iso
    > >

    > > In VM configuration:
    > > Booting: CD-ROM
    > > Use image file
    > > specify plan9.iso
    > > Connect to: IDE 0:1
    > > Advanced: Enable Intel VT-x support
    > > "Enable" is OK but might be safe to make disable
    > >
    > > Note that: RC2 requires that boot CD-ROM must be IDE:01
    > >
    > > In booting process:
    > > boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
    > > use DMA for ide drive[yes]: no
    > >
    > > You will succeed in installing plan9.iso,
    > > However I don't know how to make ether to work.
    > > Does anyone know the configuration?
    > >
    > > Kenji Arisawa

  4. Re: [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac

    Hello David,

    > But it does work with 16 bit color modes max in Parallels with the
    > vesa driver. I used to have it working with 32bpp, but that's not
    > working in the latest Parallels beta or RC.
    >
    > The network seems to work fine though.

    Surely the kernel can work with network.
    Thanks a lot.

    Kenji Arisawa

+ Reply to Thread